is bottled water safe ?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drum136

lucie <3
i heard that there is a parasite in tap water called guardia that can be very harmful for chinchillas and was just wondering if bottled water was safe and how often i should change it ?

I believe bottled water is okay. I wash Ruby's bottle daily with HOT water with a bottle brush and refill it with fresh water. I also boil it once a week for 10-15 mins. Some people run it through the dish water too.

Some bottled water is just tap water that comes from the city- just like your tap. I don't trust most companies, so I just filter my own.

I agree with Stackie...however I would venture as far as saying MOST bottled water is just tap water (Aquafina, Ice Mountain, Nestle, to name a few). If you are curious about it, check out the documentary "Tapped". It's really an eye-opener. As far as giving it to the chins, I wouldn't. I filter our tap water, and eventually in a year or so we plan on getting a reverse osmosis system.

Last edited:
Jugs of water at the store labelled "drinking water" are typically reverse osmosis filters and are considered safe. I would avoid spring water and other varieties.

Back