Is a down feather harmful to a chin?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fuji9991

I have a soft cushion I would like to sit on when playing with my chilla but it has down feathers in its makeup. If a feather gets out and she finds it and eats it would it be harmful? I can not find any information on this through search engines, I found comments about ducks eating them and that being nothing to worry about but not sure about chins.

Thanks I don't know if I am overthinking it, I know she eats a lot of hay that on occasion is pretty stiff and pokey like a feather, not sure a feather would be much of a problem. I am thinking of getting a cover to go over it that would trap the feathers in and also keep my dustbuster on hand to get any that might find their way through. I was just worried that the quil of the feather might not be something that would go through her digestive track.

I wouldn't let the chin near the feathers; I'd remove the cushion to be honest.

I sit on several layers of cardboard when I play with my chin.... it's not as soft, but at least it's safer!

Maybe you could get a fleece cover???

Great idea I have a spare king sized matress cover and two flease blankets that can cover the entire chair. So a feather would have to wiggle out of the cushion and then also through three blankets. When I clean her cage I can also use the shop vac to vacume off the chair for any feathers that get loose.

Back