Is a charcoal suspension safe to give?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AnnShh

The vet gave Toes an ivermectin injection on Tuesday. I questioned it and mentioend how I thought that ivermectin wasn't recommended for small animals and she said that side effects were rare and that it was what she recommended since the treatments of Revolution didn't work to take care of mites. I should have put my foot down and not allowed the ivermectin :(

Poor Toes started showing signs slight neurological issues last night around 11pm. It was what you would see if she were waking up out of a bad hibernation attempt. VERY wobbly/shaky, lethargic, and just not right. I knew somthing was wrong when she wasn't balled up while sleeping. I know it wasn't hibernation because she was warm and her cage temp was 74.

I immediately took her to the vet (same practice, but different vet) and he was not happy that the vet who had seen her the day before had given her the ivermectin and believed that to be he cause of her problems. She looked slightly better by the time we got there but still not right. He decided to keep her overnight for observation to make sure she continued to improve.

I picked her up this morning and she looks much better. Total bill was $450... but when the vet brought her out he said that he was waiving the entire thing. I have no idea why... all he said was "You already paid all you need to when you came in the other day. We aren't going to charge you for this." I don't know who is more thankful- me or my "broke college student" bank account!

Anyway, he gave me a charcoal suspension and suggested that I try to get some into her to help continue to flush things out. I want to make sure this is safe for hedgehogs, even though he said it was. Any input?

Gosh, I don't know about the charcoal.

I do know that there have been other cases where the ivermectin has gone bad - apparently, it's very easy to overdose and hedgie can die :(

I hope vet #2 was able to successful "un-do" or otherwise see your little one through the worst of the effects of vet #1's treatment. Good job vet #2!!!

I'm sending lots of good vibes to you and your little one. With luck someone more knowledgable about the charcoal will be able to chime in soon. I can say that, every so often a tiny charcoal piece from my water filter will end up in our drinking water. Both hedgies and humans have swallowed these to no ill effects that I've seen.

Any updates on Toes? I've unfortunately never used a charcoal suspension but I hope it worked for you and Toes. Let us know.

Poor Toes. I hope she is back to normal today. The second vet sounds like a good one and yay for him waving the fee. It wasn't your fault that she had to go back and the other vet should have known better than to give ivermectin. I really wish vets would do some research and learn that Revolution does work and is safe for our hedgehogs.

In the past the dosage for Revolution was lower and was given once. Many found this didn't work for an active mite infestation, so now the dosage is higher and given 3 times, 2-3 weeks apart.

Back