Introductions and Safety

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wolfy2449

Im getting a 2 year old female chin next week. How long should I wait before I start introducing her to the rest of my family? (There's no one under the age of 17)

Also the room that she's being kept in has a few electrical outlets, and I was wondering if I should put outlet plugs in them. I don't know if chinchillas get curious and try touching the outlets or not and I thought it would be better to ask here than find out later that I should've.

Since that it is a stressful situation I would not have a huge group of people crowding the cage to see her when you first get her. I would wait a week before handling her. You can feed treats through the bars. Don't make loud noises or have a bunch of people in the room at a given time. As for the outlets you can use the plug things but you can also cover them with cardboard that is taped to the wall or something the chinchilla can't move.
My chinchilla doesn't care for the outlets so he never touches them or is interested in them but every chin is different!
Good luck!
~Marcus :D

Back