Introductions and "Baby Cry"

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rawrrr

Let me start with a little background.

Crouton is my 8 month old male. We've had him since May. In July, we decided to try introducing another male, and brought home Sniffles, a male between 1 and 2 years old. When Sniffles was comfortable, we tried putting them in cages side by side. They're still in side by side cages, two months later.

We gave them a couple of joint playtimes, which mostly went well. The first was accidental and in our room, where the cages are. Crouton's cage uses a playpen attached to a smaller cage, but we use the playpen to chin-proof the room when they're out. So, if Sniffles went anywhere near Crouton's now unblocked cage area, Crouton would run and chase him away. The next playtime was in a small neutral area, with a dust bath to share. There was a little bit of posturing up, chasing, and mounting, but no injuries. We did cut the playtime short because it made me nervous, and haven't had many since. I wanted to wait and try putting them both in a new, neutral cage.

When we let them out for separate playtimes in the room, they like to go up to each other's cages, and I'll see them stick their noses through the bars, almost as if "kissing." I'm not sure if this is an aggressive behavior or not (trying to get at the other one's whiskers, maybe?), but there was no biting.

Finally, in the last couple of days, I've noticed Crouton making the "baby cry" at Sniffles, to which Sniffles will respond with low talking/cooing noises. Is that good? Bad? Crouton has never made the baby cry with us before, it was the first time we had ever heard it.

Also, for those out there with more experience in introductions, do you think I still have a chance to make it work, or have I waited too long? Do you have any tips?

first I have to ask - are you SURE that both chins are males because the 'cooing' noises sounds like the sound a male makes to a female??

I don't think it's too late. My chins had cage by cage for almost a year before house together. They did have reg play time together tho. Supervised! It sounds like they want to be friends. I would have more play time together before a full blown cage mate senerio tho. Good Luck!

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2

I'm almost positive they're both males. Before their first playdate I looked up some pictures here and online to double check. I'm 100% sure with Crouton, because he is much more comfortable with being picked up and held, so I could get a clear view on multiple occasions.

The noise Sniffles makes is like a lower, softer version of what we hear when Crouton is talking to us (Crouton is very vocal and tries to talk to us all the time).

Should I give them more supervised playtime then? I really would like it to work out for them as cage mates, but if they had to stay separated then that's alright too.

I think if their cages are together and they are not fighting you could try putting them together in the new cage but stay close and watch them in case a fight breaks out.
I personally would give more play time just to be safe because I have been told once a chin fight starts and blood is drawn that then the two chins will never be cage mates. I guess it depends on what kind of risks you want to take with them.

Should I give them more supervised playtime then? I really would like it to work out for them as cage mates, but if they had to stay separated then that's alright too.

Playtime outside of the cage is not recommended when introducing chins. Because they have room to run they tend to chase each other and fur pull.

Trimming the whiskers of the aggressive chin helps calm them down. They feel more submissive with short whiskers. I know it sounds like a strange thing to do but it affects the way a chin interacts with other chins. Trimming whiskers does not hurt. It is just like trimming human hair and the whiskers grow back.

Here's what I would try: Trim whiskers of the aggressor. Clean the cage you want both chins to live in. Put multiple houses or places to hide in the cage (at least 2). Don't give the chins a dust bath for a few days. Chins are least active and often go to sleep around 9:00am. So at around 9:00am put a dust bath into the cage you want both chins to live in. Then put both chins into the cage. The dust bath should distract them from fighting and hopefully make friends while sharing it.

You must do this type of introduction on a day when you will be able to spend the whole day watching the chins. Some humping is normal but fur pulling and biting is not acceptable. Separate the chins if fur pulling, biting, or a lot of aggressive behavior occurs. Hope this helps.

Kansas
I have been trying to introduce my new chin with my older chin. I put the newer one in a pet carrier and then the older one has free run so they can smell each other. They are caged next to each other but can't touch each other. Is this an ok to introduce? Also my older chin trys to pull on the door of the carrier. Do you think that is aggression or normal introduction behavior?

If I can't tell who the aggressor is, would my best bet be to trim the whiskers of both? Crouton seems to be more aggressive when he feels he's in his territory (chasing Sniffles away from his cage, or going up to Sniffles' cage when he's out for playtime and Sniffles isn't). But, in neutral ground it seemed like they were about equal in who was chasing or posturing up to who.

Anyone else with ideas about the baby cry? It happens usually at night when I can't see what's going on in the cage.

Latest posts

Back