Introduction of Mayah and some questions

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chin Up

Hello! I have a standard grey named Mayah. She is a mix of super sweet, a grumpy old fart and a trouble maker lol!
So a little bit about her
She came from a not so great home. She lived on plastic everything, no toys or chews, an awful brand of food, no playtime or human interaction, and rarely got a cage cleaning.
And now She LOVES to be pet and held (which I guess isnt normal for a chin?), but only when she isnt in a playful curious mood. She gets at least 30 mins of playtime a day. She is on oxbow gets dust baths and hay and is just a happy little girl with a HUGE personality. She is super smart and begs to get out cause she knows when its time, and she kisses on command for treats. She is about 5 years old now, I have owned her for 2. I had a baby beige chin once, and I tried for a YEAR to get them to live together, but Mayah just would not have her, she just likes her person and her dog and thats IT. So the baby girl went to a very good home with a couple that was looking for a young chin.

Anywho, her cage is pretty boring and dull, but I am a mama to many many pets and it is hard to get them all a perfect home, but after I do my 40gal terrerium, her cage is next on the list for a complete amazing remodel!

I have pics to share and a couple of questions as well :)

1. I have a list of safe woods for chinnies, and many of them are trees that I grow. Am I able to give her the twigs straight off the tree or does something need to be done to them first? They arent sprayed with ANYTHING.

2. What are good (preferably less expensive) online stores to shop for supplies at? Cause I think we all can agree that petstores dont exactly meet the chins needs....

Thats all I can think of for now, but I am sure more questions will pop up.
Now for the pics!

2mqnozd.jpg

16k49l0.jpg

1pz9uc.jpg

63uhwy.jpg

More questions!

What is the best way to keep my room cool? I have a chinchiller in her cage but it gets over 100 during the summer here and it can get up to 80 in the house.
I have a swamp cooler so it isnt the greatest and doesnt cool so well.....
I have a room cooler and fan and I keep the curtains closed and light off but it still doesnt seem to be enough, I really dont want her to die :(

Also is it cheaper to have my own wood ledges made at home depot or lowes and do it all myself, or buy them from a chinnie supply store?
If it is cheaper to do my own, how exactly do I do that?

Wood from trees have to be from trees that have never ever been sprayed with anything, chemicals can be stored deep in the wood for a very very long time. That also includes accidental over spray from a neighbor or government too. If you are 100% sure nothing was ever sprayed on them, you still need to scrub them, boil them (optional) and then bake them to dry them out. That gets rid of all the dirt and anything possibly living in or on it.

You should check out the vendors on here, both in the classifieds (supplier list is at the top of the supplies for sale section) and banner ads at the top of the forum.

thought of more questions when making my shopping list lol sorry

1. Where do you get your chinspins? I cant seem to find any

2. What do you use for a litter box?

There is only one effective way of keeping a chinchilla comfortable in those temperatures, you need an air conditioner. Window units are inexpensive, you can even pick them up on Craigslist if money is an issue, but there is no other way you are going to keep her cool in those temperatures. I don't use chin spins so I can't answer that, but lots of people use glass Pyrex dishes for litter boxes.

Mayah is so cute :cute:

I use a Pyrex dish as a potty and you can get chin spins from Quality Cage. I have one and my chin loves it, he uses it every night.

Your chin is very cute but, um, is there meant to be an extremely scantily clad lady on the first pic, or is it my iPad going wonky?:err:

Your chin is very cute but, um, is there meant to be an extremely scantily clad lady on the first pic, or is it my iPad going wonky?:err:

No it happened to me too! I dont think I used a very good website to upload my pictures and they did that to one of the pics. I contacted a mod though and they fixed it :)

No it happened to me too! I dont think I used a very good website to upload my pictures and they did that to one of the pics. I contacted a mod though and they fixed it :)

I hate to say this, but the lady picture is still showing up for me... Adorable chinchilla though!

The lady (though I'm not sure she is one dressed like that!) has now gone off my screen Chin Up, so your pic has definitely been fixed to what it ought to be on my system anyway:)).

Glad to hear it! Sorry that happened :/ not an image people really want in their heads....

And thanks for the comment on Mayah :3
I sewed her a hanging chin cube and matching square hammock today, ill post pics of em as soon as I get the hardware to hang them up! Lol

Glad to hear it! Sorry that happened :/ not an image people really want in their heads....

And thanks for the comment on Mayah :3
I sewed her a hanging chin cube and matching square hammock today, ill post pics of em as soon as I get the hardware to hang them up! Lol

That's awesome :D Isn't it so much fun making them things? And so rewarding when they end up using it/loving it. :heart: Can't wait to see pics!

That's awesome :D Isn't it so much fun making them things? And so rewarding when they end up using it/loving it. :heart: Can't wait to see pics!

It is its a blast! This is actually my first time sewing stuff like this for her other than a simple little snuggle pillow so I really hope she enjoys them!
My little sewing setup area is next to her cage so its even more cute when she just sits there watching me, wondering if this fun looking thing is for her lol!

Okay so here are the things I made!
The chin cube is a little bigger than I had hoped but oh well lol
And the corner hammock is smaller than what I wanted. But the square one is just right even though I cant hang it up yet lol!
When I went to the hardware store today I was hoping to find the little hooks in packs for a couple dollars, but noooo they have to be a couple dollars each! So due to an emergency (expensive) vet appointment for my pup, I was only able to buy enough hooks to hang up the cube for now.

On the bright side she now has a litter box! Just no litter.....Ugh down side to having pets is unexpected stupid things happen.

small corner hammock
vxdnrq.jpg

Square hammock
1fg6cl.jpg

and the chin cube
2i0ps82.jpg

Uhhhh Mayah thats not how you use it....
qso5tj.jpg

Just being cute <3
2n18l0o.jpg

Back