Introduction help.... and more

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smidgeyy

Introduction trouble...

Alright so... I got my second chin in May. Since June, I've been trying to introduce them.

Personality wise... Chilly is quite the sassy little guy. I got him from my brother who had bought him at Petco(he was bought for his kids but when that didn't work out, I got him). That being said, I'm assuming that he wasn't handled as a baby. I've had him since November 2013. He was about 6 months old when I got him, so he's almost a year and a half old. Anyway, he's the sassy one of the two. He kecks like crazy if you hold him, but he is okay if you let him jump on you. Scratches are amazing, as are pets. His back/butt is off limits though, or he'll keck and run off(though he comes right back as if it is a game Lol).

Momo is way more relaxed. He was from a breeder, therefore he is comfortable with being held. He can get a bit grouchy when he is woken up but otherwise he is super friendly. He is just very easy going, so there's not much to say about him.

Now... I've had their cages near each other for a while now.

I have tried the cage within a cage method:

I've tried it in all ways that I could. I've done Momo in the small cage and Chilly in the large one, I've done it reversed, and in each of their cages.

When Momo is in the small cage, Chilly will run up and go after the bars. I was worried about him getting one of his toes so I haven't pushed it. If Chilly is in the tiny cage and Momo comes up to him, he reacts the same. It doesn't matter what cage he is in, he does the same thing. Momo doesn't behave badly until Chilly acts out. This makes me think that Momo may be fine with another chin if it is just as laid back as he is.

Here is an older video of Chilly in his cage, with Momo in the small cage. This was his reaction when I took the cage out and set it outside his cage. He won't jump around like he did here, he will just stay at the cage biting at it aggressively. I think he does that a little bit in this video. He doesn't make those sounds anymore though. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzgWoI1inqI&list=UUM3fTPMmSbICLrEftaA_Ocw

What method would you guys recommend that I try? Or should I pitch the idea all together?

My bedroom is the only place(temperature wise) that I can let them out for playtime. Since both cages are there, it's not exactly a neutral area either. Once it's winter, I could try the neutral playtime thing.

I also didn't want to try smooshing them in a carrier with how they were reacting with the cage within a cage method. Any opinions would be helpful!

My other issue...
As I said up there, Chilly won't let you hold him. I understand that not every chin likes it and you have to deal with it, but does anyone have any tips? Not only is he wiggly but he kecks like he's ready to bite my hand off. He's never bitten me or anything and he comes right back as if he didn't care, but I don't want to hurt out relationship by reaching for him all the time. I'm thinking my brothers kids were rough with him when they had him and that's why he's so afraid(or it was just Petco's poor handling that caused it).

He will allow me to hold him if he jumps into my arms but I cannot actually hold him(it's more as though he's just sitting on my hands, I cannot hold him to my chest or move him around or anything).

Either way, there will be times when I NEED to hold him. How would you recommend me deal with this?

That's all. :] Sorry for the long post, I just wanted to give as much information as I could. Thanks in advance to anyone who can help. :]

The best method for introduction in my opinion is the smoosh method. Clip their whiskers down as short as you can with a pair of scissors. About 1/2 an inch usually does the trick, then put them both into a super small carrier so there is not room for them to move much. Then go for a car ride for as long as it takes for them to settle down and sleep. I usually drive for an hour or so, maybe two if necessary. After that return them to a neutral cage.

As for holding one that doesn't want to be held, picking it up by the base of the tail is the easiest and most efficient way to get them to cooperate. These techniques seem scary at first, but they really are the best and cause the least stress.

See, just doing the smoosh method scares me. I'm terrified that someone's going to get hurt. What if I am unable to get the cage open and separate them in time, what if ones injured, etc... It's just scary to me so I haven't tried it. If they were on better terms, maybe it wouldn't be so frightening. :/ I wish I had a breeder close by who would be able to help me out with this >.<

Oh I do grab their tails sometimes. Momo just doesn't care about anything so I practice my handling with him. Chilly is fast and I think I've only gotten a good grip on him a few times. He's a tricky little puff.

Another question...

Where can I buy toy parts in bulk? I want to start making my own toys but buying from vendors can add up pretty quickly... So I was curious where everyone got their toy parts?

No cutting their whiskers won't hurt them. But it takes away any dominance that might be causing the fighting.

It takes a couple months for the whiskers to grow back but it doesnt hurt them. I would trim the dominant chin's whiskers and let the shy ones go for now. I have also used vanilla to mask their smells and helps to confuse them so they get along. Be prepared that they may never get along. Some chins just are that way and like to be alone.

How long will you give two chins in trying to bond them before you will give up and resign to the fact that they can never get along?

There's no set length of time that says give up. If they are overtly aggressive, pull a ton of hair or draw blood obviously that's where you quit and stop for good. If you have the patience and they are just minorly annoyed with the other chin, then by all means keep going. As a breeder Ihave seen easy and hard chins to pair. My one tan female Ihave tried with at least 7 other males before she liked the one she's with now.

Latest posts

Back