Introducing two reluctant chins

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LaurenMcStay

Chillamom
I have two chinchillas (Alice, 4-year old female and Zeus, 1-2 year old male). I adopted Alice from a breeder as a baby and I adopted Zeus from a family friend who couldn't keep him anymore. Originally, I thought that they would be able to co-exist and live happy lives together. I was wrong. Alice absolutely DESPISES Zeus to no end. I have put their two separate cages next to one another for two months, swapped cages for them so they could get used to each others' scents, and allowed them to free run in a supervised area. Nothing has worked, and I am pretty sure that there is no hope in successfully introducing them to one another with a good result. Alice pulls Zeus' fur out when she is close enough, and I can't stand to see him scared so I haven't tried introducing them again since the last time (about 4 months ago). I know the females are typically the more dominant, but it's like she has a demon inside of her when she is around Zeus. She is the most docile, sweet, and cuddly little girl otherwise. Does anyone have any suggestions? I would really appreciate it.

-Lauren

some chins just dont except cage mates. But aside from that they will breed if left together. Is that your intentions? If she is being that aggressive I wouldnt try to introduce them again.

Yeah, I agree. Don't put them together again. It's not worth the risk.

Chins that are adopted young and live alone are typically very territorial and reluctant to new chins in their area. This isn't always the case there are exceptions. The opposite is also true and that's what we are dealing with currently. Chins who are used to play mates and have bonded with another chin will often sink into depression and refuse to eat when they are separated from their friend or mate.

Latest posts

Back