Introducing two males and one keeps on mounting the other!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chinswagger

Hello i have two males that I recently introduced to each other one is 13months (Taro mosaic) the other is 10moths (Bon Bon Homo Beige), the older chin was the resident chinchilla well its taken almost a month for them to get used to sach other (side by side cages and out of cage play times together) they are together in the double unit CN. They are not violent to each other but the problem im having is that the older resident chins (Taro) is always trying to mount the youngest (Bon Bon) its on and off but they still sit next to each other on ledges and stuff but noticed during the day they both sleep separate someone told me that's not good bc that means they don't trust each other? I see them take naps together but the longest sleep they get during the day they sleep separate maybe is bc Taro always tries to hump Bon Bon after grooming him. They are always grooming each other Bon Bon attempts to mount Taro but he is never too successful. There is no fur slip just some chasing and then Taro stops after Bon Bon runs away and then leaves him alone until they groom each other and so on. Yesterday night, during play time I noticed Taro kept on mounting Bon Bon every chance he got he would get on top of him and then jump right off of him! It would be super quick but man! even i was getting annoyed for Bon Bon! I read sometimes trimming whiskers work? Im planning to close the divider of the CN during the night so they get a break from each other when they are most active, since they sleep separate during their longest nap of the day anyway. I see they do nap together furing the day time but for shorts amounts of time like they seem to be more comfortable dleeping spearate but dont mind some short naps together. They both sleep separate on their favorite spots on the cage one on the top unit and one on bottom unit. I guess for now i might keep them separated (close the connection for both levels sonthey each stay in their own unit) during the night for a few nights to give Bon Bon a break. but idk if that would deter Taro from mounting Bon Bon so much in the long run also, will this ruin their bond? I thought ut was notmal since they at establishing a peking order but maybe its too much mounting? Its not every second of the day but still. Anyway sorry for making this long please if you guys have any ideas or advice help me!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 27
Hello i have two males that I recently introduced to each other one is 13months (Taro mosaic) the other is 10moths (Bon Bon Homo Beige), the older chin was the resident chinchilla well its taken almost a month for them to get used to sach other (side by side cages and out of cage play times together) they are together in the double unit CN. They are not violent to each other but the problem im having is that the older resident chins (Taro) is always trying to mount the youngest (Bon Bon) its on and off but they still sit next to each other on ledges and stuff but noticed during the day they both sleep separate someone told me that's not good bc that means they don't trust each other? I see them take naps together but the longest sleep they get during the day they sleep separate maybe is bc Taro always tries to hump Bon Bon after grooming him. They are always grooming each other Bon Bon attempts to mount Taro but he is never too successful. There is no fur slip just some chasing and then Taro stops after Bon Bon runs away and then leaves him alone until they groom each other and so on. Yesterday night, during play time I noticed Taro kept on mounting Bon Bon every chance he got he would get on top of him and then jump right off of him! It would be super quick but man! even i was getting annoyed for Bon Bon! I read sometimes trimming whiskers work? Im planning to close the divider of the CN during the night so they get a break from each other when they are most active, since they sleep separate during their longest nap of the day anyway. I see they do nap together furing the day time but for shorts amounts of time like they seem to be more comfortable dleeping spearate but dont mind some short naps together. They both sleep separate on their favorite spots on the cage one on the top unit and one on bottom unit. I guess for now i might keep them separated (close the connection for both levels sonthey each stay in their own unit) during the night for a few nights to give Bon Bon a break. but idk if that would deter Taro from mounting Bon Bon so much in the long run also, will this ruin their bond? I thought ut was notmal since they at establishing a peking order but maybe its too much mounting? Its not every second of the day but still. Anyway sorry for making this long please if you guys have any ideas or advice help me!

they are so cute

mounting is a show of dominance. If they are not fighting at all, no violence or hair pulling, etc. Then thats probably what it is.

Or you got the sexes of them wrong.. thats always a possibility'

Mounting is normal for males. Thats how they work out dominance. Its not sexual. I would double check the sexes though just to be sure both are males. As long as hair isnt being pulled and no blood is drawn its not fighting.

I was actually just about to ask this same question as I just fully introduced my two boys today during a playtime and my older and larger of the two would try to mount my younger boy. I'm not sure what to look for when introducing Chins so I'm happy to hear that that's a normal occurrence!

My chin even mounts his chinnie-buddie (fleece stuffed chin).
I imagine he would do that to a real chin too.

I hope it all works out between them! As long as one chin is submissive and they don't fight over dominance I am thinking they will be okay. :))

Hello Chinswagger,
I used to have two male chinchillas, which my beige chinchilla (Kyo) did this to my standard (Nobu). I would keep an eye out for how often he does it though. Years ago I read up that it is normal and did not take too many precautions since my vet also told me that it is normal. However, this went on and off for (7) years. About a few months ago, Kyo attacked Nobu and tried to kill him. Thankfully I was in my bedroom when he decided to attack Nobu since Nobu was not putting up a fight in the slightest. Once two chinchillas fight, it is almost impossible to put them in the same cage again without one trying to kill the other. I separated them for a long time and every time I came near Kyo with Nobu or vice versa, both would try to attack each other. I hoped that separating them would at least bring them both peace, but it did not for Nobu. Kyo antagonized Nobu to the point where Nobu stopped eating.
Unfortunately, I had to get rid of Kyo since I had no where safe in my home to put him. A vet informed me that neutering could fix this problem but they did not advise it once I told him how old Kyo was. I wish I had fixed him sooner since maybe he would have never attacked Nobu and they would have still remained friends. I even asked my vet about this and he told me that he did not recommend it due to the aesthetics and Kyo's age.

I am not telling this to you to scare you.

I just want to relate my experience since I would hate for anyone to experience what I went through. If the mounting does not stop and your aggressor chinchilla is young enough, please neuter him since it may stop the behavior. Hopefully your chinchilla will stop mounting the other one once dominance is established.

Back