Introducing my two females.

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Macaroni and Chiz

Animal obsessed
So I got a 10 week old chinchilla a while ago, she is beige and as cute as can be!! I already had a 2 1/2 y/o standard female. I have been working on introducing them for the past couple weeks here is my story so far and I also have a couple questions.

I started out putting their cages side by side and having separate playtimes where they couldn't see each other during these playtimes. Mayah (my standard) is a very curious chin. So she was sticking her nose through her cage trying to get to Serenity (the baby) she even reached her paws through the cage trying to pull Serenity's cage closer. Well after about 5 days Mayah acted like she wasn't even there, and they were perfectly fine to have their cages next to each other. Well after this I put Serenity's cage in the room where they play and let Mayah roam freely. I then switched them, let Serenity out while Mayah was in the cage. They did do some sniffing and Mayah attempted to bite her nose which I stopped. Then after each playtime id put each chin in each others cage for about a half hour. After another four days of repeating this process, they had their very first playtime together yesterday. I put houses, toys, hay and dust baths so they wouldn't be so focused on each other. It worked well. Mayah did start to chase her twice which was immediately stopped, other than that they did pretty good. Today they had their second playtime together and there has been a bit more chasing. We are still working on introducing the two of them.

Is there anything I am doing wrong?
Is there something else I should be doing?
Is the chasing normal at first?
What signs should I be cautious of?

Thanks for reading!! :)

Some chasing is normal. If they are pulling a lot of hair or drawing blood quit and assume they will never get along. Intros can take weeks or even months and there is no guarantee that they will ever get along. Slower is always better. I would try switching cages so they get used to the other chins smell in their cage. Keep up with the playtimes. There are other methods to introduce as well (smoosh method, using vanilla....).

There has been no hair or blood yet. I am taking it slowly, and I am even slowing down more for hopefully a wonderful outcome. They do get to explore each others cages for a while each day. I cant switch cages cause my adult chin is in a big cage, and the baby is in a baby-proof small cage, cause it is only temporary as I will be building a huge new cage. I will look up that method thank you!! :)

Some chasing is ok. One of the chins (probably the older one) will need to establish dominance, so you may observe some mounting/ heavy grooming.

Alright. Glad I am not doing anything wrong. I have hit a bump in*the road, one of my chins is bloated. So I was told that I should hold off on the introduction.

Bloat is pretty serious. One of my chins has a chronic bloat condition that I have to monitor very carefully. Do you feed any treats? The best advice anyone ever gave me was not to give my pets treats (except for chew sticks). I just feed hay, pellets, water and the occasional herbal supplement. No cheerios, fruit, raisins, etc. especially for a young chinchilla like your 10-week-old.

I have not given her any treats, cause I ran out just before I found out she had bloat, and I am waiting till shes better to order anymore. My baby chin doesnt get any either. I am waiting till she is older. My adults bloat is starting to go away it seems like, her stomach is going back to normal size and doesnt feel as hard. I am hoping maybe a couple more days of gas drops and massages should do it. Hope your chinnie gets better!!

Honestly I would not order anymore. As someone who has seen the negative effects trust me it's not worth it. Seeing them get treats is more for the humans enjoyment.

I agree with brittany. Chins do not need 'treats'. Keep it simple. Hay cubes, different types of hay, wood chews can all be considered treats which are all healthy issues.

One of Yuki's favorite "treats" are actually grapevine tendrils. They're so small and he loves them so much they disappear in seconds. Even though he constantly has grapevine sticks, the skinny ones or any other flavor of wood seems like a "treat" to him. I still give him a rosehip or small chin-safe treat once a day, but I like that I can give him the sticks he thinks are treats without limit and without worrying they'll effect his health.

Well I'll take your guys advice and skip the treats, and instead order more twigs and stuff like that. I have a very strict budget at the moment cause I am trying to build a new cage. Then after that I am just gonna go on a rampage getting them tons of chew stuff XD Thanks!! :)

I have figured out that my chins are complete opposites. My adult loves the hay cubes and she will just scarf em down, while my other chin doesnt even care for it, but she will stuff her face with the loose stuff. They are both very curious and one is more "hoppy" and vocal than the other. I cant wait to see what Serenity' personality will be like when she grows up, or if she will change much at all.

Back