introducing my two chins.

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fleeners3

I have two chins one is a girl in the other boy. He is 6 years old and she is 3 years old. I have had them in a separate cage next to each other for a few days now, but everytime I give them free time together they fight. How long should I wait and what should I do? They both by each other and run around. When they're in their separate cages they are fine. what should I do?

You shouldn't introduce them at all if one is male and the other is female, unless one has been fixed months ago, at the very least. Even if you are watching over them, it will only take them moments to mate. Chins shouldn't be bred unless you know their histories and lineage and that these two are ideal for mating. They need to remain in separate cages and have separate play times. Also, even if they were of the same sex, they may never get along. Chins have died from fight related injuries. Last thought, I can't tell if you have had them longer than a few days, but if you have only had them for such a short period of time, their cages shouldn't have been put together as you want to do a 30 day quarantine first to make sure one chin doesn't pass an illness on to the other.

Not meant to judge, only to inform. To answer your question, just give them separate play times, always, no exceptions. If you are worried about them needing a friend, get them each a same sex partner, or get them a cuddle buddy - fleece toy - to give them company.

Ditto what Jenn said. Also, she could be pregnant now. Count 111 days from the day you separated them. If she does not have babies after that time passes, she did not get pregnant. and yes, it can happen quite quickly. What you thought was fighting was the male chasing around the female and trying to mate her.

thanks

They have both only ever had one owner. we would like them to breed. is it too late for me to quarantine them?

Have these chins been evaluated by a breeder to see if they are breeding quality? Also, do they have pedigrees? If they haven't been and don't have the pedigrees, they should not be allowed to breed. You do not know what kind of genetic health issues you might be breeding.

There is no sense in quarantining now. The damage is already done.

Latest posts

Back