Introducing Monty

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am new here. I have taken a lot of things personally - even things that weren't directed at me or applicable to me. I guess it's just because I'm not accustomed to people so bluntly reprimanding others about their pets, and sometimes doing so with complete disregard for what the post was even about. It was just my thought that some of those things that sound more like reprimands could be said privately, but I understand where you are coming from and I guess by saying it publicly more people have a chance to learn.

What I can't tolerate, though, is when someone has ALREADY pointed out an issue and others continue to chime in on the same point. If something like the unsafe baby cage or the possible eye infection needs to be said, then say it NICELY, and if it's been said and stated well then don't state it again if you're the next person to come along and read the thread.

I appreciate your response, VoulteerChin22, and it was well-stated. I hope my reaction doesn't negatively affect how people view me or interact with me in this forum.

Whatever, I respect the views of my countries nationwide rescue, but again thankyou for your concern.

Just because I follow a different (but nationally recognised) metod of quarrentine, doesn't mean like implied earlier in the thread that I don't know enough about chinchillas, I just came on here for advice on intro's

I don't mind that the fur/eye was mentioned, because like I said we are on the case already

Good luck with the intros! I have only one chin so I don't have any advise to give to you. I hope it works out for the best :)

A quick warning reguarding CnH (lik CnQ before it) the members care first, and foremost, for the animals.

I tend not to post on threads that often because a) I am new to the world of chin ownership, though I have been reading for so long that these issues seem like second nature to me, and b) I really am an advocate for the furries. Poor care does -not- sit well with me, and if I had a choice anything bad done to an animal should be done to its owner too.

Of course, I also agree and disagree on many topics that are easily debatable in the chin world... But I must agree that quarantine should be done within your own home.

I only say this because the point of the quarantine is to get the new critter used to the bacteria/etc. in your home without possibly infecting your old baby with any infections or diseases that the new one may have.

I recognize that it might be 'nationally accepted' there, as told by the RSPCA, but many places do just get it wrong. Pet stores rarely know what's best for the animal, and I'm sure it is the same way with shelters too... I'm not saying the RSPCA is wrong, I'm just saying that it never hurts to read different sources, too.

Glad to see that you're reading, learning, and that Monty is getting watched after closely.

Cheers.

Well, here we go, the biggest mouth of all is about to open =P
It's very important to do the quarantines in your own home. While it might sound like a good idea to do it in another home in case the chin has some sort of illness that can be transferred, the way to avoid that is keep them in a different room in different air space and wash hands/change clothes between handling one another. That's what I did with my rescues and my chin. I had more dirty clothes that month than ever before, I think I set a record.
Not dissing the RSPCA, but they're not a chin oriented rescue from what I've read, and unless it's a chin oriented rescue that specializes in chinchillas, I'd really consult some one else before doing. Forgive me for this analogy, but it's like a Republican slapping a Democrat bumper sticker on the bumper of their car and thinking that's all being a Democrat meant. There's more to know, more to learn, more ways to adjust to. I hope that makes sense.
And while he's a pretty boy, if they rescued him, a dust bath should have been given if they knew enough about chins. Does his fur have any mats? It looks like the poor guy is just a real hot mess.
Some people on this forum have been owning chins for well over 30 years, so I'd hold their opinions and advice over the RSPCA, that's just me. Like I said, not dissing them or anything, but unless it has "Chinchilla Rescue" in the title, I'd pay more attention to the peple's advice here.
I've had my own mistakes with quarantine, thankfully my blissful ignorance didn't harm any of my babies and I learned from it, and that's the only thing you can do; learn from mistakes.

A quick warning reguarding CnH (lik CnQ before it) the members care first, and foremost, for the animals.

I tend not to post on threads that often because a) I am new to the world of chin ownership, though I have been reading for so long that these issues seem like second nature to me, and b) I really am an advocate for the furries. Poor care does -not- sit well with me, and if I had a choice anything bad done to an animal should be done to its owner too.

Of course, I also agree and disagree on many topics that are easily debatable in the chin world... But I must agree that quarantine should be done within your own home.

I only say this because the point of the quarantine is to get the new critter used to the bacteria/etc. in your home without possibly infecting your old baby with any infections or diseases that the new one may have.

I recognize that it might be 'nationally accepted' there, as told by the RSPCA, but many places do just get it wrong. Pet stores rarely know what's best for the animal, and I'm sure it is the same way with shelters too... I'm not saying the RSPCA is wrong, I'm just saying that it never hurts to read different sources, too.

Glad to see that you're reading, learning, and that Monty is getting watched after closely.

Cheers.

P.S. : Sorry for the poor spelling. I desperately need to clean my keyboard, some of the keys don't 'click' properly... But Isabelle's cage comes first.

Chinzilla, if you think the responses here were "mean" you must be very sheltered, because I have seen a lot worse. If I notice something wrong with a chin, especially a health issue, I will not candy coat it with sugar and sprinkles and icing. I will say it bluntly. I will not simply say "Oh, cute chin!" and ignore the fact that it has a watery irritated eye. If I were new to chin ownership and posted a picture of my chin with something wrong with it, I would want to be told something was wrong, not live in lala land full of 'oh cutes! nevermind the eye infection.'

Now, when you are on a forum as large as this, you are going to get repeats. Sometimes repetition is beneficial as it helps reiterate the fact that something is wrong.

Can someone explain the science of this reasoning to me, because I just don't get it, here is my understanding of the science behind quarentine:

Chin A lives in your home, has not been ill living in your home

Chin B is got from somewhere else, may or may not have any bacteria/viruses

If Chin B comes and is quarentined anywhere, any bacteria/viruses he had would come out within a certain period of time.

If Chin B comes to my house for quarentine, or after, he will still be exposed to the same bacteria in my home, no matter what.

Even if my home makes Chin B ill, why would that make Chin A ill if he has lived here before with no problems before?

Also, what you have said , Does this just apply with chinchillas?

If chin B becomes ill during quarentine, you'll thank your lucky stars you didn't put him next to chin A.

Your home will not make chin A ill, he's been living there fine.

It's the introduction of chin B in the environment. You want to make sure he doesn't give any hidden illness to chin A, and you want him to get used to, and adapt to the normal bacteria in your home. 30 days is a good time to see if chin B is "hiding something" :winkers: (an illness) and for him to be fine with your home environment. Then both chins should be fine in cages next to one another.

I don't know if this applies to other animals, it makes sense to me that if you get a new guinea pig, for example, you might put him in another room in the house and observe him for a while, making sure everything's fine, before putting him in the same area as your chin.

Last edited:
Like stated above, if the new chin does in fact have bacteria etc. that is harmful to your chin, it will (usually) either show itself within the first 30 days of your house or go away while adapting to the new bacteria. If he is not in your house for the 30ish days and is introduced to your chin having said bacteria etc. then your chin will get sick from it.

It's like drinking the water or eating the food in another country, some have bad reactions to it...

Can I get this straight, so your home environment may "activiate" bacteria that would lay dormant if the chinchilla was quarentined in a different house?

I don't think I'm following this line of thought about quarentine either. If her chin was quarentined in a house with no other chins for 30 days and was found to be ok, then just moving to the other house would cause something? If that's the case then say wouldn't that be true moving the chin from room to room within the same house? Couldn't one room have bacteria and the other not. We quarentine new horses we get in one barn, then they get moved to the big barn 1/2 a mile away (same property). Does this mean they need quarentined again? Just try to get this straight.

With horses it may be different. But with chins, it needs to be in the same house. Your house has certain bacterias etc. in them, and by letting your chin get used to the new environment and making sure that you do not see something come out within the first 30 days shows that it is safe to let them near your other chin. If you have them in someone else's house, you are just preparing them for that house. Also, this will allow the new chin to get used to you and your routine-change is very stressful for a chin. Even just moving them from place to palce in a month could cause a lot of stress.

Think of it as preparing yourself to live in Africa by eating the food and adapting to the natural bacteria etc. in Asia. By the time you get to Africa you have nothing built up and can get yourself as well as others sick.

Maybe I'm just not explaining this clearly enough, but I don't know how else to say it. 30 days, same house different rooms is the only way that quarantine will serve it's purpose.

But if bacteria in your home make the new chin ill, that wouldn't make your old chin ill, UNLESS (and no one has said this is the case yet) certain things in youe home can activate dormant bacteria.

Is this the case or not?

Back