Introducing males

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SeeleyAnne

Buddha & Moose (:
Okay, so today was the first time that Buddha and Moose have actually been caged together. They have had their cages side by side for 2 weeks, and today, we cleaned Buddha's CN really well with water and vinegar.

There's 2 of everything, so they don't seem to be fighting over objects. They are doing pretty well I think, but they occasionally get really close in each other's face and sniff each other's noses. Sometimes they push each other's nose a little bit, but don't make any noises, so I don't know if that's normal? There has been maybe 2 or 3 little annoyance squeaks since this morning, but not too much. Buddha tries to mount Moose (establishing dominance?) and Moose usually lets him do it, but sometimes will either run away or kind of turn around to get Buddha off of him.

My question is, what kind of behavior do I need to be looking for? It's kind of hard for me to tell whether their actions are aggressive, or just trying to figure each other out. Do I need to consider trimming whiskers? I have never introduced chins before, so I just need some advice.

If they aren't getting along its usually very clear. Chasing, fur slips, bite wounds are all signs. Be sure to have 2 food bowls and waters so they don't guard them. It sounds like they are getting along good though.

Okay, then they must be getting along then. They have 2 of everything, and they are actually getting along better today than yesterday, so I'm really glad! Thanks for your help! I was just super nervous about introducing them, because I didn't want one of them to get hurt!

Latest posts

Back