Introducing/Integrating two boys.

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stakie

I've never actually had to introduce a pair of chinchillas to one another, so I thought I would ask some advice. It's been three days since I got my new chinchilla and all seems to be going as planned. However, I want to make sure what I am seeing is a good sign and not a bad sign.

First off, they are in two separate cages. They are next to each other and have been interacting with one another. Following each others movements and chewing the bars. There has been no aggressive noises or actions, unless chewing at the bars is one of them? There is a space between them so that they can not touch each other. Just incase...

Anyway, they have not met other than being able to stare at one another. I was thinking of putting them in each others cages in a couple days and then a few days after that introducing them during playtime.Then clean out the main cage and put in lots of new toys and stuff to replace ledges and all of that. If playtime goes well I wanted to put them both back into the newly cleaned and redecorated cage.

Does that seem good? What are some really good signs that they like each other? Really bad signs? (Other then ripping each others head/limbs/fur off?)

[Hopefully this is in the right section.]

You shouldn't have them in the same room yet. Its always advised to quarantine chins so you don't bring any health problems home to your chinchilla. I usually do the switch the cage and put them closer together. Usually I will find them sleeping side by side in the mornings. Then I rearrange the cage and clean and usually it works . As always there is a chance at any point it may not work but sounds like you are on the right track.

How do you clean wood ledges? Mine are not very old and I'd hate to discard them if I don't need to when introducing.

Well, a little too late for that one. But, they both seem healthy and happy. I guess I will bring them to the vet sometime soon for a doublecheck anyway.

Latest posts

Back