Introducing Buttons!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AnneMarie

I got my chinchilla today! I love him so much already. He is darling. I am still replacing the plastic in my cage, the last three wooden levels should be here today or tomorrow but I couldn't resist his little face and button nose. He grabbed my finger at the pet store.:hearts:

The store said he was 4-5 months old and they sold him as standard grey...but he doesn't really look like the other greys that I've seen on the site, what do you think?

Right now he's in his cage settling in. Wonderful boy. He's jumping all over!

He's beautiful!!! I'm not an expert, but he doesn't look like a standard gray to me. I replaced all of the plastic in my cage as well, Rio's paws don't get all dried out anymore, plus he doesn't really chew the wooden & fleece perches.

Grabbing your finger is absolutely adorable! It was love at first sight for him! :)

I love him. I'll get a picture of his...ahem, downstairs so that you guys can help me make sure he is a boy but I think he is. I looked at the pictures on the forum and I think he's a boy. Luckily Buttons can still be his name if he turns out to be a she! lol Thank you! He seems very content. He takes little chews out of my fingers through the bars and seems happy to have them. The pet store cage seemed very small for four chinchillas and they didn't have any hay. He loves the hay I gave him. Right now he is in his wooden house relaxing.

Most pet stores don't take good care of the animals unfortunately. I ended up with a bearded dragon after a trip to petco...they had about 40 of them stuffed in a tiny tank...Rio absolutely loves his hay, I found this really awesome hay cubes that aren't as messy as a feeder, they're called Harvest Stacks and they're made by Oxbow.

I though Rio was a girl at first, until he started cleaning his downstairs....I think its hard to tell the sex until they reach chinchilla puberty.

That's sad =( I bought a lot of hanging toys for Buttons, there's a pumice stone one, a wooden hay feeder, a loofah and rope type one, and a cute little rabbit with a bell that he seems to like. He also has plenty of wood toys that he knocks around at the bottom. He's so cute! I love watching him explore.

Rio is two years old now and he still explores and goes nuts over new toys. He loves his pumice stones and hanging loofas. I am looking into building a customized cage for him because he's really active and even though his cage is big enough for two chins, I feel that the more room he has the better. Chinchillas are such great pets! Its never a dull moment with these guys, and they only get cuter! :)

Beige? Thank you! He's so cute.

Is that Rio in your profile pic? He's very cute!

The dog was so uninterested he didn't bother lifting his head off the couch to see what I was doing. I think my cousin's children visiting yesterday tuckered him out though. They had him running and jumping and the boy managed to get him to dance for treats. He puts on a grumpy face when I ask him to roll over like I'm asking the world of him. Silly boy! He was quite happy though, loves kids and their energy.

Buttons seems content. He explored for a while and now is sleeping, I think. I added a little more hay because he ate a lot of it. Very cute!

Beige? Thank you! He's so cute.

Is that Rio in your profile pic? He's very cute!

The dog was so uninterested he didn't bother lifting his head off the couch to see what I was doing. I think my cousin's children visiting yesterday tuckered him out though. They had him running and jumping and the boy managed to get him to dance for treats. He puts on a grumpy face when I ask him to roll over like I'm asking the world of him. Silly boy! He was quite happy though, loves kids and their energy.

Buttons seems content. He explored for a while and now is sleeping, I think. I added a little more hay because he ate a lot of it. Very cute!

Yes! That is Rio! Thank you!!! :)
I'm glad Buttons is adjusting well to his new home, you seem like you are going to be a great chinchilla parent :) I know there are a few posts on here that have some different tricks to teach your chin, I taught Rio how to give kisses :)

Thank you! I am trying to learn everything I can. I learned a lot before I brought him home but I know I still have a lot to learn. Rio is cute, stuffing himself up there, silly chinchilla! I'll have to look into tricks, that would be a good bonding experience, I think! Thank you =)

You're welcome. I bought a few books about chinchillas when I got Rio but I have found that this forum is the best way to learn about them. I know a lot of the people on here are longtime breeders and vets, so I generally trust their advice. :)

Yay congrats on the new chilla! What a cute little beige! And it's great that he's already warmed up to you. You're going to have so much fun!

Thanks! He's precious. He scared me! He misjudged a distance he could jump and fell a short distance. He seems to be okay, just scared me. He doesn't seem scared though and went right back to what he was doing. Give me a heart attack, Buttons!

I love giving him chews and he enjoys taking them. It's very nice. He smells my hand and nibbles my fingers very gently. Dog is still completely uninterested. He knows Buttons is here, he just doesn't seem to care. lol

He was trying to jump from one ledge to another without using the ledges in between. I have a daredevil. LOL

More pics in the cage =)

Leaping!

He's so silly! Picture is blurry but he was leaping as I snapped it. He's playing with his bunny bell toy right now. I think he likes the noise...and chewing off the rabbit's ears! lol

My beige chinchilla is named Button too! Actually it's Buttonwillow, but close enough.

Awwa, that's cool! I bet your Button is a sweetie too! =D

Today Buttons was feeling sneaky. I reached into his cage to give him fresh hay and he cuddled up to me all sweet. Then he crawled on my hand and then I knew what his goal was: he was slowly trying to make his way out of the cage and butter me up so I wouldn't notice. Silly chinchilla!

Last edited:
Back