introducing a trio

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bam.Bam

I know there are TONS of threads out there on intros but only a select few mention introducing a single chin to an already bonded pair.

I plan on starting them off in seperate cages next to each other for awhile and then eventually want to use both the playtime method and cage(s) in cage method.

I have a few questions since this will be my first intro ever and it will be with a trio of boys. Which method should I start with first or just do one or the other? I've heard a lot of success with the cage in a cage method. That then leads to my next question. Depending on who is more timid, if its the bonded pair, should I leave them BOTH out together and put the new, younger chin in a show cage or should it always only be 1 chin out with 1 chin in each show cage?

I was also wondering, since I know i've read its easier to introduce a younger chin to an older chin most of the time.. how young can I start the bonding process? In my situation, the bonded pair are brothers and they will be a year old when I get the younger male which will be right at 10 weeks. The breeder mentioned its best to wait until they are about the same size to start bonding. Is this a good rule of thumb? If so, the poor little baby will be by himself for a couple of months until he reaches the size of the other 2. But as the breeder said, I'm afraid the older boys can hurt the baby easier when he's little.

hopefully all my questions made sense!

If it was me, I'd go straight to the cage within a cage. Only with a trio, you're going to need two small cages, or one cage large enough to fit two of the chins in. When I do a trio I leave one loose, two in two separate show cages.

Also, if it was me, I'd trim their whiskers back pretty short, try and head off any dominance issues before they start.

I would not introduce two 1 year old boys to a 2 month old boy. I think that's just not fair to the little one and could end up with him getting hurt badly. I would wait until he at least has a couple more months on him before I would try it.

ok thanks tunes, I was hoping you'd respond since your like the expert at intros!

I figured that would be the safest thing to wait until he's bigger and older. I'd rather be safe then sorry having him alone for a few months then rushing it and have him get hurt.

I agree with peggy for the most part. especially about the ages of the chins. but I did something a little different when I did my trio. I had the two in their cage and the new one in his cage and kept moving them closer. Then after a week or two of them being side by side I scrubbed the big cage with vinegar and clipped everyones whiskers and put vanilla on their noses and base of their tails and put them in together. if their was too much fighting I put the new chin back in his cage and tried again later. it may not work for you but it did for me. every bit of advice helps in my opinion.

Back