Introducing a new chinchilla

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spooky

Earlier in the summer I e-mailed a breeder about baby chins, and at the time they didn't have any, but she said she would let me know when they had some. Well, I got an e-mail yesterday and they do! They have a white mosaic male and he's the one I'm interested in, since Fuzz is a boy.

I may be going out there next Saturday to see if I want to reserve him, so in the mean time I have a few things to think about.
If you have experience with this, what was it like to introduce a new younger male to an adult male? Any tips or warnings?
Fuzz currently resides alone in a ferret nation 142 and he is quite happy, but I really want another one now, and I think it would be nice for him to have a friend.

Thanks! ;D

I actually think it's easiest to introduce a baby to an older chin... seems there are less issues there for me anyway. Things you'd want to watch for are biting and pulling fur out..... a little dominance humping and maybe some chasing isn't an automatic warning sign, but if there are bites and lots of fur pulled out, then you'd want to possibly slow those intros, make sure no one gets hurt.

The good thing about an FN is that if it doesn't work out, you could always separate them.

I have two older boys about 6-7 with 2 boys about 5 months old. I think having a wheel in there helps the babies burn off some excess energy

Thanks for the advice =)
Now I'm just waiting to hear back from the breeder, and hopefully I can go through with this!

Latest posts

Back