introducing a new chin

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brittanyydevan

rubys mom
i got a new chinchilla, yuki, a little over a month ago. i have had her cage next to my original chinchilla rubys cage for the entire time. i recently put them into the playpen together which neither of them have used before (they play separately in the bathroom normally). ruby (8months) started chasing yuki (4months) around the cage and i immediately put a stop to it and separated them. will they ever be able to be friends? i want them to like each other but i feel like rubys so spoiled that shes just really jealous of yuki.

First is Yuki male or female? Very important question, unless you intend to breed, no playtime between the should happen either. Second, quarantine is done for 30 days in a separate cage in a totally seperate room so that the new chin does not get your chin ill.
As far as intro's go, please take it very slow. Some dominance behavior may/will occur as long as there is no chasing with fur loss and/or biting, you can try again. Some people have used methods of whisker trimming and rubbing a dab of vanilla extract on the chins noses and the back end.

we dont know if yuki is a male or female. we're not sure. but i heard other people say they're supposed to be next to each other. when should that happen and how long? i think ruby was trying to bite yukis fur.

You need to figure out what sex Yuki is before you let them interact. If Yuki is a male, they need to stay separate no matter what.

Yes, post a picture. The best way to get one is to set the chin on a solid surface, then lift their back side by the tail and snap a picture of the genitals.

Latest posts

Back