Introducing a new chin to another.

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dreenbmp

double chin trouble
We just bought a new chin. We have another one that we've owned for about year....We will obviously will get the new chin adjusted to his cage before we move him to the chinchilla mansion with our other chin...However...We put our new chin inside his cage...and let our old one out, and our old chinchilla didn't take to well to our new chin. He Starting barking, and trying to stick his face in the cage. Our new chin didn't seem to have much of a reaction or to care. we are just wanting to know some tips to introduce the two later down the road, having play time together, and eventually sharing a cage. They are both males.

I don't know much about introducing new chinchillas because I have never done it before, however I do know that it is widely believed that a new chin should be given at least a 30 day quarantine period in a different room than the original chin. Since the chins have already been exposed to each other though that may not matter anymore. I would say, however, that it takes a while for a new chin to settle in. You should wait to introduce them or even show them to each other until the new chin gets a chance to get used to his new cage/environment. He is still probably pretty freaked out by his new environment. Also, I think you should verify that they are the same sex before introducing them because I have heard that a lot of time there can be mistakes that can lead to babies.

Back