Introducing 9+ years old chins to new home

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gubee

Hi everyone, I'm going to bring my three male chinchillas to my new home from my parents tomorrow. They are 9, 10 and 11 years old. I'm wondering how I should go about introducing them to my house?

Two of them never travelled after having moved to my parents 9-11 years ago. One of them is actually quite picky on where he puts his personal stuffs. I worried about this little guy a lot if he can't adjust to my new house. Is there anyway I can minimize his stress? I read that I should keep them in their cage for a day or two before letting them out exploring the chin-proofed room. Is there anything else I can do or I should't do?

Please advise!

I would make sure that you keep their cage as is. Not change the layout, if they have fleece items and all, I would not wash them right away. Just let things be as they are. Don't change your feeding habits and all, but I would let them be for a week or so, or until you see they are back to their normal self if they where affected by the change. Once they are back to normal, I would start letting them out in their room.

Thank you both! I can't wait to have them here with me, so I don't have to travel to my parents every night to feed and play with them. :)

I hope they will get used to my place soon!

thanks both!! I hope they will adjust fine!

We are oh so ready and getting ready to go pick them up now! :D

Talk to them a lot and establish a routine of when things are done. Example, always fill their food dish at the same time every day. It will help them know what to expect.

Finally they are settled. I think they are doing just fine. My picky boy actually sneaked out from his cage while I was tidying his cage a bit. I let him explore and he looked curious and cautious. The room has almost the same layout as when they were at my parents. When he was out, I let the others out too. They all looked fine. One of them even did the popcorn dance! :D

Back