Intestinal Surgery

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh wow. I haven't heard of that but from other instances it seems veeery slim chance to avoid infection and get them eating afterward.

When I dealt with the situation, the survival rate was 2%, the main risk was the intestine past the surgical site most often dies.

Thanks. That is pretty much what I expected. Fortunately it appears not to be a blockage after all.

Well, it's not exactly a blockage situation but my chin Kelly has undergone surgery for a rectum prolapse where the intestine won't stay in and the vet had to do emergency surgery to surture the intestine to the wall. She had intestinal damage during the prolapse although i got her to the vet in 3 hours. And the damaged area was just the part where the vet had to surture. The vet gave her a 50% survival rate due to the injured intestine. She didn't have any infection complications and the wound healed well but she dropped an awful lot of weight after the surgery and was a shadow of herself. I thought i was going to lose her but she made it. That was close to 3 years ago and now she's a happy bouncy chin.

According to my vet, he has done a couple of ops where he had to cut the intestine and surture it back but none has survived. These were prolapse cases where it was discovered too late and part of the intestine have already died. The surgery was to cut away the dead portion and re-attach the live intestine.

Having actually gone through with intestinal surgery and seen what happens afterwards, i would say it's not impossible but you will need to bank on stars aligning for it. The character of the chin also becomes a factor. kelly is young and have an incredible tolerance for pain and a very strong will to live. I believe any lesser chin would have given up.

Latest posts

Back