Interaction: Aggressive or Normal?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sheena lee

It might be hard to tell from one video, but here's a vid of my chins interacting through the hole in the CN. I have the ramp and 2 layers of wire mesh, so they can't hurt each other in any way. Normally there's a block of wood blocking them off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vifR7373Js

Chia (on top) is much more dominant. You can see her "digging" to get to Abby, while Abby just sticks her little nose up and sniffs. Right after I stopped the video, Abby made a little "merp" sound, but is not injured or hurt in any way. I also smelled urine, but I don't know who it came from. They don't let up, neither of them will move to another part of the cage until I put the wood block back.

Is this normal? Should I leave the wood out for an extended period? Also, considering Chia is more dominant, should I move to her to the lower level of the cage, if I'm to continue with this kind of intro (plus of course joint playtime)?

Just watching the video makes me nervous, I was shaking while I filmed it!!

Last edited:
It is a fairly normal reaction, some are more agressive and some less. They will need more time before being put together.

I would put Chia at the bottom.

I am sure others will chime in.

It is a fairly normal reaction, some are more agressive and some less. They will need more time before being put together.

I would put Chia at the bottom.

I am sure others will chime in.

Thanks Christiane, I was just about to send you the video by email for your opinion. :)) I think you're right about putting Chia on the bottom, I didn't want to originally because she's a little bugger and pushes/bites sometimes when she wants out. I'll try it and see how it goes!

Back