Infection, baytrin and acidophilus

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrodimer

Meeka's Daddy!
I noticed Wednesday afternoon that Meeka had a yellowish discharge on her underside and her belly was slightly stained, she also smelled like urine. I took her to the vet right away and he gave her a shot and SQ fluids. He also sent me home with baytrin. The culture came back today and he said the bacteria count in her urine was off the charts so instead of the 7 days he originally prescribed he told me to do the full 12. I understand baytrin is a pretty harsh antibiotic and is usually reserved for pretty bad infections ( i could be wrong), which this seemed to be. She's been acting completely normal and eating as she normally would and the infection seems to be clearing up very quickly.

When I first took Meeka in her poop was very soft and small so I started her right away on acidophilus and I've been giving it to her since, 14 billion once a week. Her poop has been very hearty and dark since. Somehow all the times I have spoken to the vet I completely forgot to mention the acidophilus. I already spoke with him today and I probably won't again until Monday...My question could be a dumb one but should I continue to give her a regular dose of acidophilus or is it possible that it is making the bacteria count in her urinary tract higher than it should be?

I'm very new to chinchillas and trying to learn as much as possible! I just want to make sure I'm doing all the right things.:hmm:

Back