Infection after Surgery

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gladiolii

This is my first time posting. I've been a long-time lurker and it's a bit of a shame that my first post would be in the emergency section, but I am really worried and need advice.

A month or so ago, a baby boy we adopted from a rescue was neutered under their vet's advice. He was 4 months old at the time, and while I already had chins I didn't know the exact details about sexual maturity in chinchillas. It wasn't until AFTER the surgery that I found out 4 months is too early to neuter. She said she had to dig around to find the other testicle, since it hadn't descended yet, and that it was a monorchid neuter. Things seemed a bit tricky, but nothing out of the ordinary for the first week after that. We handfed him CC and did everything the other posts here recommended.

About two weeks after, the area had already healed over and the skin was smooth, and we thought we were in the clear. However, the area started swelling rapidly. I called the vet back to find that she is on vacation, and the receptionist told me it's probably not a big deal, could be a tissue reaction. She told me to keep an eye on it, which doesn't help me one bit, because the area was increasing significantly every day. I contacted another local exotics vet, and he recommended exploratory surgery to see what was going on. We went with his advice since there wasn't really another option, and he told us that the problem was that the previous vet had tied off a mucus gland that was in the area, and the stuff the gland was producing had nowhere else to go, thus causing the swelling.

Which brings me to the current problem. The wound site is now severely infected. The incision, which was originally glued shut, has peeled open and is gaping. It's swelled up to three times the original size. I've contacted the vet repeatedly asking for advice, and he says to leave it alone, it shouldn't be a problem. It's frustrating me a lot that he is writing it off repeatedly, when I'm sending him pictures showing the before and after. He just keeps asking me if his behavior and appetite is normal, to which I say yes, but I know chinchillas can hide pain really well. I can't stop worrying. Is the vet right? Is this how any surgical site would heal? And so I had to post to ask for any advice anyone might have. I don't know what else to do. The boy is being such a trooper, but I hate subjecting him to so much pain. I feel like it was all my fault. I shouldn't have listened to that first vet telling me it was okay to neuter at 4 months.

If anyone has any idea what to do, please let me know. Or if anyone has a recommendation for a vet in my area, please also let me know. I'm at wit's end. I've attached the photos showing the progression of the infection.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 52
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 49
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 49
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 45
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 49
I'm no vet, but I've had 3 males neutered with only minor complications.

This looks SERIOUS to me and I would get appointment with an experienced
Exotic vet ASAP!!!

Someone from your area should be able to make a recommendation, but for now, I'd get on the phone immediately!!!

Good luck and keep us posted...

It looks serious to me too!! Which is why I'm so FRUSTRATED that the vet keeps telling me it's not a big deal, let's sit tight and wait to see what happens. You mean wait until he keels over and his entire lower body is infected? Then what?

The second vet who is writing off my worries about the infection is someone who has been recommended on the forums here. I don't want to name names. I like the guy. I just think he has a general attitude of "wait and see" and this is something that I feel is quite serious. The poor thing is still growing and has to deal with this massive hole in his lower body. He isn't explaining to me WHY we should wait and see, he just says it doesn't look bad, which doesn't mean anything. He did prescribe a mild antibiotic, but it hasn't made much of a difference, if any. And in the meantime the infection has doubled, and now tripled in size. That is why I am currently on a frantic hunt for someone else, at least for a second opinion, but the one alternative I found is not open on weekends. And the remaining option is the nearby emergency clinic, who have a terrible reputation, both here on the forums and everywhere else. They've been known to charge outrageous fees for just seeing the animal in question and sending them home with nothing but painkillers and a write-off. Neither of us need that right now. Especially me because I will seriously clock the next person who refuses to take that infection site seriously after manhandling the poor boy.

I don't know. Maybe I'm not leaving a very good first impression here. Maybe I'm being paranoid and overreacting. Feel free to let me know if I am. He IS eating and he IS pooping. I'm just so, so frustrated. If anyone has any idea why my vet isn't acting aggressively on this kind of infection, please let me know. I don't wish to say anything negative about him, because I genuinely like him. But God, I wish I at least had some clue WHY the prescribed treatment is to sit on my hands. I've been so worried, and I just want him to be better, but it's only gotten worse. I'm just hoping at this point that the boy will keep eating until I can get him the next earliest appointment and I won't have to handfeed again. It's traumatic for the both of us.

Lynn, thank you for replying. I've been hawking this thread ever since I started it. Again, if anyone has recommendations for vets--please share?

I would tell that vet if you don't take care of this NOW and treat this chin aggressively NOW when this chin dies I will impale it on a sign and show the world what a uncaring incompetent a-hole you are. Rant over, chin needs aggressive treatment asap, there is not much medical advice that can be given without that wound being possibly opened, debrided, flushed, chin put on big guns antibiotics.

I had a rescue neutered and the same thing happened to him. The vet gave me the run around too before I finally got them to take care of it. When they finally did listen and started to do something,the chin stayed at the vet for almost a week while they tried to get the infection under control . The poor animal had it on both sides and they finally had to leave the sites open and irrigate them several times a day. When I got him home, I had to continue the irrigations and antibiotics until the wounds healed up. We nearly lost the little guy but he came through it all right.

Find a vet that knows what they are doing and get him treated.

Uuugh - that's nasty. Ditto what everyone else said. He needs to be on some serious antibiotics and he needs to have that wound re-opened, debrided, and drained. I don't understand how vets can go through so much schooling, pass all those tests, and still be so incredibly stupid. Anyone with half a brain can see how bad that is.

The vet must have caught on. I spammed him with emails and he's asking us to come in tomorrow morning to have a look. We've had several of these "take a look" appointments before; I am mentally prepped for him to write me off. I will follow everyone's advice and try to ask him to do the debridement and draining. I think the wound is already at least partially open, since some of the staples from the surgery are showing through. It could be why he wants to wait and see, possibly because treating the infection would mean messing with all the stuff he has in there holding everything together. I'm TRYING to give him the benefit of the doubt. I just wish I knew why, instead of being written off without explanation. It makes me feel like I'm being dismissed out of hand as a hysterical female.

Regardless, I will be on another vet's doorstep come Monday morning, and hopefully she will see me without an appointment. Or hopefully she will be in. I desperately need a second professional opinion, possibly for someone to provide me with an active course of treatment. Seeing as how we've already paid so much in vet bills, why not pay a little more and get some peace of mind? As for strong antibiotics, I assume everyone is referring to Baytril? I'm going to definitely push for it, but I wanted to ask first: is Baytril safe to use on a kit? Or is it past the point of worrying about that?

Again, thanks to all for responding. I feel a lot calmer just knowing that there are others who agree that it needs to be treated ASAP. I will post tomorrow after the vet visit to detail how it turns out. The vet I'm aiming to see (stalk) on Monday is Dr. Zorgniotti, and if anyone in the Boston area has been to see her, let me know what you think. I have some hope for her since her credentials say she is the vet for the Mass Audubon Society and is on the Advisory Board of Exotics DVM. Maybe I'm just gullible, but I'll take anything I can get right now.

This is just begging to become systemic and kill the poor little guy.

At a time like this, even if you like your vet, YOU have to be the one that stands up and fights for your baby. No one else can or will.

The vet probably knows by now that this has just turned into a giant mess (I have a favorite non-forum safe word whose initials are RF!!!), and that he's going to have to put a lot of time and care into it, and I would tell him that you expect him to charge little or nothing for the treatment, since you've been begging for relief/treatment since the wound opened.

Sometimes its better to remain calm and nice; at others, you have to summon your inner "B" and make things happen!!!

I wish you were in Denver and could see Dr. Fitzgerald at Alameda East -- he would have that under control!!! Well, he wouldn't even have let it get OUT of control!!!

(He has even kept Mr. Whiskers in his own office all day to administer sub-Q fluids and done so for no charge. THAT'S the kind of vet he is).

I'm thinking of and praying for your little guy. Keep us posted...

I like him only so far as I don't want to smear his name publicly, because I tell you, the boyfriend knows I'm pissed as all ****. The "benefit of the doubt" comment was really because prior to this week, the boyfriend worshiped the ground that vet walked on. I kept insisting the infection was getting worse and something had to be done--it got to be like fighting against some weird boys club conspiracy. But rest assured, I will most definitely push for everything that's been recommended when I go in to see the vet today. I will not let common courtesy get in the way of my pet's survival, which sounds ridiculous when I type it out like that.

God, I'm so nervous I can't sleep. Right now, I wish I were in Denver too. :( Your vet sounds so amazing. My fingers are crossed, and I will keep everyone posted.

I know it is a little drive for you, but VCA South Hadley Animal Hospital has a very good chin vet; Dr. Katja Hrones is who I recommend. If you want a second opinion I think it would be worth the drive. Their number is 413-539-9868.

That wound is bad and needs immediate care. I can't believe the first vet neutered a chin at 4 months.

Hope he gets the proper medical care he needs.

I just typed up a giant message just to have the system tell me my token expired and to press the back button. My little essay is now lost in cyberspace. Blah. I remember bits and pieces of the entire thing, which I'll hope to duplicate here now:

First, Andrea, thank you for the recommendation for Dr. Katja. What have your past visits been like? I actually go to school nearby in Amherst, so I sort of know the area. I also think I knew someone who had rats going to a Dr. Benner at the same hospital, and your mentioning that particular VCA just sparked my memory. I will discuss this further with the boyfriend, as it looks very much like a viable option.

Second, I am appalled that the first vet neutered at 4 months too. I blame her for this entire mess, in fact. Don't tell someone you can neuter at 4 months if you in fact cannot. She only admitted to me afterward that she had no chinchilla experience, which, I mean, isn't that something you should mention beforehand? The animal is not a freaking science experiment just because it's lumped into the pocket pet category. It's a life. Unfortunately, the neuter was done before the actual adoption, so I don't think I can do anything about it. I just should've known better, so it's not like I was blameless. But then, the only thing I can do right now is give my all toward fixing it.

And lastly, for anyone who's interested in the follow-up, the vet visit went about how I expected it to today. He said it's within an inch of healing, and told us to administer what he calls hydrotherapy; this consists of running the wound under the faucet to clear the gunk inside the wound as well as to promote healing. I then ended up breaking down and crying in his office, to which he said he appreciates that I care and waived the visit's fee. I remember pushing for Baytril and Metacam, but he said he doesn't appear to be in pain and the Metacam wouldn't be necessary. I don't actually remember what he said about Baytril. I now wish I was more on my game when I was there, but I hadn't slept all night for worrying so much. My vision was literally blacking out around the edges; the one thing that stuck in my head was that toward the end of the visit, he said that if after a week we don't see a difference, then we should just leave it alone. He said it's possible that our worrying at the wound is what's actually causing it to open up. Needless to say, I don't believe that to be true, and he admitted he didn't either when I said as much, but that it was still a possibility. He then prescribed Gentak (gentamicin sulfate) ointment for us to apply to the wound daily.

Ultimately, while the visit made me realize that he does genuinely care for the animals he treats, his methods seem to incline toward minimalism and naturism. He won't budge because he truly believes it's the right thing to do. Needless to say, come Monday 8 AM I will call everyone on my list of vets to see who would be willing to see me on short notice. There is certainly merit to hydrotherapy as a treatment, and I don't mean to presume that my opinion is more credible than that of a professional. However, I also have to acknowledge the fact that the wound is getting bigger, and worse. I definitely need the second opinion for my own peace of mind if nothing else.

So, that's that... for now. Thoughts?

I wonder if this vet would RX the same care to his human child if that child had a gaping infected wound. With chinchillas, I always error on the side of doing more than less, they hide illness and pain well and when things get worse, they die faster than one can back pedal and start treating.

That is a very big cut for a neuter op, my two boys were neutered 7yrs ago, I rmb them only having two 0.5cm incisions on either sides of their testicles, I would be so angry if some vet used my chin as an experiment.

I'm no vet, but his "running it under the faucet" doesn't sound nearly as antiseptic as flushing the area with saline.

And, just because he doesn't "seem to be in pain", doesn't mean that he isn't. We all know how good chinchillas are at hiding their pain. Don't you think you would like a little pain medication if YOU had a wound like that??? I would still ask for some pain meds.

Lynn and Dawn: I felt the same way. I was all over the place being super emotional about it this past week, but something happened that actually shut me up. I'm sure flushing with saline would've been much more sanitary, but surprisingly... the faucet thing worked!! I don't care how it did at this point, but I'm so so happy to have my little boy back!! The wound is almost completely closed at this point, but how in the world?! You know what, it really doesn't matter. All that matters is that this is behind me, and Yogurt is alive and well. I've been feeling ridiculously guilty for having to withhold dust baths from him when he so desperately wants it. I also shouldn't ever have agreed to neuter a 4-month-old kit without at least some amount of skepticism and boatloads of research. I'm so happy right now I can cry.

Thanks to all who responded. Jannie: from what I know, neuters typically go quite smoothly, as in your case, and there are minor complications at worst. I think I can safely say mine was a unique circumstance wherein the vet who neutered had NO clue about chinchillas as a species. I can safely say that that vet should probably have done research on when chinchillas approach sexual maturity before telling a patient she could do it. She probably assumed chinchillas were like guinea pigs, because from what I know guinea pigs are in fact safe to neuter at 4 mos. There were many, many things about her that should have clued me in to her inexperience, but I have a tendency to take doctors at their word. Thank God everything is fine now.

Anyway, I just wanted to update this thread for anyone who cares to know, things are well. Thanks for all the kind and prompt responses!

Thanks for the update!!! I'm so glad things turned out well for your little baby. Give him some extra lovins' and kisses for me!!!

Thanks for the update! I have been wondering about your little guy and am happy to hear he is doing well. Keep up the good work.

I had been following your thread and am so happy to hear that your boy is finally healing up and getting healthy again. Soon you'll be able to fully spoil him rotten again! Yay! Thanks for the update, too. We love to hear how everyone's furbabies are doing, and especially love happy endings!

Latest posts

Back