Inexpensive Wheel?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeekyChinchillas

Hello! A couple months ago, I convinced my parents to let me get a chinchilla. Now, after I did all the research I needed, we are ready to start looking for the actual chinchilla. So far, we have all the supplies needed, except for a wheel to place in the cage. I know these are essential to a chinchilla's health, the problem is the expense. I know that almost all wheels found in pet stores will not do, considering they are either plastic, too small, or have to much space in between the bars. The problem is, my parents don't want to spend $50-$70 dollars on a wheel. Any suggestions?

Honestly I would rather spend $50-100 on a wheel to last the chinchilla's entire life rather than a cheap wheel that will only last a little while then need replaced. Before I knew better I was purchasing the petstore wheels and even the 12" plastic wheels (which are too small) are $35-$40 and I was replacing them once or twice a year!

If you are a handy person you can try a DIY wheel using some tutorials on YouTube or just watch the classifieds here for a cheaper used wheel. However, I would reccomend seeing if you can do extra chores around the house or use your allowance if you get one to purchase a wheel that will last your pets entire life. No wheel is better then a wheel that is too small or very loud like most DIY wheels. A chinchilla doesn't need a wheel of they get out for exercise once a day.

I just got the flying saucer and it is the best wheel I have ever purchased. It is high quality and made with chinchillas in mind unlike the cheap wheels you will find.

I agree with the above comment, definitely buy a good high quality wheel, no matter how expensive it might seem. You can try to find a used one on craigslist in your area, just make sure it is the kind you are looking for, and wash it thoroughly afterwords. But even then you might not be able to find one and might just have top pay full price.

Also I would be concerned that your parents are reluctant to pay. Your chinchilla will probably need vet visits in the future, and I'm sure other expenses will pop up. Make sure they are on the same page as you.

A couple things? First, how old is your chinchilla? If it's under 6months old, you've got time to save up for a wheel. Chinchillas younger than 6months old should NOT have a wheel.

Second, do you have time at least several times a week to let your chinchilla out to run? If so then again, there is no huge rush to get a wheel and you have time to save up.

Third, and finally...I agree to look online at places like craigslist. You'd be surprised at how many go on there to sell them. Even if not extremely local, evening finding one "in state" maybe they could ship? It'd still be cheaper.

Shipping will be $10 for a total price of $45...still a good price BUT you do have to be aware I've heard several people have had this type break.

I had one of those homemade style wheels as the first one, it was very very loud. It's fine if it's on the other side of the house, but in the same room as it I had to leave the room to talk on the phone if the chins were using it and sleeping in the same room as it was out of the question. I also had an issue of pee, poop, dust and hay building up between the piece that attaches to wall of the cage and the wheel (where the ball bearings are) causing the wheel to stop spinning. The build up issue was annoying, but nothing a little vegetable oil wouldn't fix if you kept up on it, mine lasted a few years before I got fed up with the noise and up keep.

I have that wheel. Eightish month later, the bearings have completely jammed and I'm now looking to either replace the bearing setup or to get an entirely new wheel. Most likely I'll be going with the latter.

In my opinion, a wheel is just another thing for them to chew and will probably never get used, or used for anything other than lounging.

Nah, if that were the case they'd last forever. Fact is a LOT of chinchillas LOVE their wheels. It's just wise to make a solid investment FIRST rather than buy a bunch of garbage ones that break prematurely or injure your chin.

Latest posts

Back