Inconsistent Poop Question

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brittany

Mia Bella Vita
Let me preface this by saying that I know I'm probably being a little paranoid considering everything Lily's been going through, but I thought it wouldn't hurt to ask.

For the last week or so I noticed some inconsistency with Lady's poop size. Some days it is normal and some days it is slightly smaller (somewhere in between Normal and half size). She seems to be eating fine and weight is holding steady.

Normally after playtime she will lay spread out on her chiller and grind her teeth a couple times. She's never displayed any other signs of malo or ground her teeth any other time so I've always just assumed she was uncomfortable and trying to cool down after playing. The room is always somewhere between 65-70 degrees.

Is there any logical reason for the inconsistency or should I be worried about something?

It could just be differing amounts of food moving through her system. If you're still handfeeding, do you notice the smaller poops occur when it has been awhile between feedings?

Stacie, I think she's talking about Lady her other chin. Lily is the one she is handfeeding and I believe she's just being cautious because of what Lily is going through now.

Brittany, has Lady always had the inconsistent poop since you've had her? A couple of my boys are somewhat like this, they don't grind their teeth though.

Ah that's right. That's what I get for trying to half pay attention in class and half pay attention to reading the forum. :D

Stacie- yes this is my other chin. Guess this is what happens when their names both start in L and end in Y ;-)

Sandi- The poop is a new development, she's always been very consistent. She's always done the teeth grinding after playtime. I never thought it was an issue because it was only after playtime, she never showed other signs, and she's been eating and gained 240g since I got her 10 months ago.

My only thought is that since Lily's been so high maitenance that Lady's been jipped on playtime a few nights here and there. Perhaps the decreased excercise has led to decreased appetite? Although she does have a huge QC mansion and chin spin all to herself. Does this seem logical?

Yes, it does since she's not exhibiting any other signs. When I put one of my boys in the lower half of the FN after he'd been used to a different cage, he started having inconsistent poop as well. Turned out he missed being at the top of the ledge in his old cage, so when I switched him to the top half of the FN, he went back to normal. But now you say decreased appetite? You're sure she hasn't lost any weight?

Sorry let me clarify. I'm guessing that with the reduced playtime her body isn't burning as many calories and she may not be eating as much on those nights. I weigh on a weekly basis and for the last few weeks her weight has been 655-660g which is her maximum weight thus far. There hasn't been significant loss or even gradual decline. her weight for the last four weeks has been 655g, 660g, 657g, 659g. I'm refilling food/hay/water at the usual rate so I don't have any reason to believe that her appetite has decreased overall. I'm just guessing that maybe on those nights her appetite isn't as strong as when she gets full playtime and is burning more calories.

I suppose I should just continue to watch her for now? I was just thinking that if there was a reason for concern that I wasn't thinking of I could bring her with us next time I take Lily to the vet. But if it's just me being paranoid I don't want to stress her out with a trip and vet visit.

I've been force feeding Lady because she's almost entirely stopped eating and poop got really small a few days ago. Luckily with the force feeding I got it under control and she only lost a few grams. I just got home to IL and I have an appointment for bother girls Friday at 9am. My boyfriend was helping me hold her tonight and I got to look at her mouth from a different angle. I noticed her bottom incisors are patchy colored between healthy orange and bone white. Any ideas what may be happening? Anything I can do to help her between now and Friday?

I'm just so bummed that both my girls seem to be having teeth problems :-(

Oh geez Brittany, I'm sorry! I don't know what you could do for her other than what you are doing now! Is she pawing at her mouth at all? I bet Friday can't come soon enough. I'll keep both girls in my thoughts ok!

Back