In need of loosing a few

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cooljm94

My hedgehog Andy is over weight, I have put him on a diet for the last 6 months, bought him a new better wheel (Carolina storm), but he still hasn't lost much (if any) weight. His skin looks a lot better (had an issue with dryness), I am feeding him Chicken Noodle soup for the cat lovers soul, not sure what type but I spoke with someone on here and they suggested a certain type for a "diet".
Is there a better way to help him shed a few? I'm gonna go buy some little toys for him so he'll come out of his house more. Suggestions?

There's always the possibility of a feeder that makes him get one piece at a time. I know I've seen them for rats. There's gotta be one that's hedgehog appropriate. It stops animals from gobbling up food in one big bite. I'm assuming he's off treats? Other than that, I don't know.

Check the fat content on the food you are feeding. If you can find another high quality cat food with a lower fat percentage, you may consider mixing it in. A little less kibble and more steamed veggies and unseasoned cooked chicken (to keep him still satisfied and feeling full) also helps a bit. Some hedgies are just bigger than others by nature, good diet, access to the wheel are all good steps that you have taken.

Instead of putting the food in a bowl for him, scatter it around his cage and make him hunt for it.

Back