Imprinting?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mircat

Have you guys ever heard of this term being used to refer to a chinchilla bonding with someone? A while back, before I ever had or even thought about having a chinchilla my boyfriend told me something I found interesting. He told me that chinchillas "imprint" on a single person. He had a single male chinchilla of his own for some years, and said the chin was bonded only to him. Now, I tried researching the term in that context but found nothing. Do you guys have any insight? Do chins really only bond to one person? Because my chin likes only me pretty much. He'll run from and get fidgety if my mom or boyfriend try to hold him but he's a calm sweety with me.

Imprinting happens in the first hours or day of life so they would imprint on their mom unless they were raised from birth by the human. We bond with our chinchillas and they do know the difference between people. Two of my chinchillas prefer my husband and me but will warm up if the person is slow and kind. One is an amazing guy because he really likes everyone he meets and actually sat in my nephew lap the other day not knowing him. I think it just depends on the personality of the chinchilla.

I don't think imprinting works with chinchillas. They have distinct personalities and like who they like. Usually its the person they spend the most time with but not always. I have 1 chin that hates everyone but me and I also have another chin who loves anyone in the room. Its more on the chin than anything else.

Because chinchillas are born so developed imprinting could happen but I doubt there is any studies. Even if they do it would be the breeder or parent they imprinted on. However that doesn't mean you can't have a strong relationship with a chinchilla. If you want your's to like more people than you have to teach those people how your chinchilla likes to be interacted with. We try and keep Jackie socialized by going out often with him to keep him in practice so he doesn't decide it suddenly scares him.

I wouldn't say they are imprinted, that is when an animal associates their owner as one of their own species.

I do think chinchillas get attached to people though. My chins will come out and beg for attention and treats when they see me but if a new person comes in they hide in their house, or run frantically on the wheel (I'm convinced the loud noise is their way of saying GO AWAY haha). Sometimes they won't even take treats. They won't settle into another persons arms and be cuddled and I have to be the jerk that explains "well, it's not you, it's just they don't KNOW you yet". :laughitup: The funniest thing is my boyfriend always hides a shreddy in the hammock when he goes near the cage, so as soon as he walks the room, they go straight to the hammock!

Back