Impacted?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaddyslilDimwit

Someone just brought me a chinchilla. They said he has not eaten in 24hrs. I did not see any poop in his carrier cage. I can't get him to eat anything. He is REALLY lethargic. They have not been paying much attention to him lately apparently. I am thinking he may have eaten some plastic or something and gotten impacted. No e-vet near me and I can't get in anywhere till tomorrow at 4pm. I don't think he has that long. I've never dealt with this before.

Anything I can do?

Southern, NJ. Vineland Area. My vet said the closest place was 90 mins away. And I REALLY hate to say this, but he isn't mine, and I can't afford to drive that long plus pay for an emergency visit.

Dr Janice Goode works at the Banfield Hosp. (Petsmart) in Marlton. Phone number is 856-596-5501. If she can't fit you in, she might be able to direct you to someone else that is a good chin vet. She is excellent herself. I go to her myself when I need a chin vet and that is a good 1 hour/15 min away. I have gone 1 hour 45 mins to have her take care of my chins. She is the best.

Ok. He is drinking a little bit. Is there anything I can do to make him more comfortable?

There is really not much you can do. He needs to be seen by a vet.

I don't think so. If he is really lethargic he needs to see a vet ASP. Gas drops might help a little but if he is blocked that probably won't do much - definitely needs a vet

Yea, They directed me to a place in CherryHill that wants like $150. I don't have that plus gas money. I can only hope he holds on till tomorrow.

I took him to a friend of the family who is a Vet (not for exotics though). She looked him over, she called ahead and sent me to CherryHill. I got there about 7pm. They did an x-ray. He was blocked. We were discussing treatment when he passed. Because my friend called ahead, and knew one of the staff I actually only had to pay half of a normal visit cost. They said that if it was caught a day or two ago there may have been a small chance but the people waited too long to notice/bring him to me.

:D Thank you. I only wish I would have gotten him in time. But they have vowed not to get anymore chins for a long time so that they can do a lot more research. I have given this web address and some others so they can learn as much as possible before re-trying.

Back