I'm so angry at my little brother right now.

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ReneeM

I got into a fight with my little brother tonight over the care of his dog. His dog has had diarrhea for three days. He didn't want to take him to the vet, he wanted to wait a few more days. I was afraid the dog would be getting dehydrated. The vet was able to get the dog in tonight. My brother wouldn't take him because his girlfriend was coming over, and he couldn't take him tomorrow. I ended up taking him ( after fighting with my brother to give me his credit card to pay). I spent two hours at the vet with my brother's dog. We got into a verbal altercation when I got home. I'm just so angry right now!

He is acting normal right now. He is on a couple of different meds to help with the loose stools. My brother gives him his first meds around 5:30 ( I told him he HAD to), and I give him the second around 9 when I medicate my own dog.

Originally my brother was blaming me for his dog being sick. He ate my dog's meds around the same time he started getting sick. I couldn't afford to call pet poison control, but I told my brother too, he wouldn't. My vet said my dog's pills wouldn't have made him sick. He had probably gotten into something else.

I think I'm more in tune with my pets then my brother is. When my own dog first got sick everybody thought I was crazy, that nothing was wrong with her. She ended up having cancer. I could just tell she was not acting right.

He just frustrates me so much! At one point he would lock his dog up every time his girlfriend came over. The dog would just keep crying. He was used to sleeping with my brother. I would bring him in my room. My brother now takes him in his room.

I know he loves the dog, but I shouldn't have to tell him to take his dog to the vet.

I know the feeling. My sister is a HORRIBLE pet owner. I ended up taking her dog from her because she wouldn't care for him. Now when she speaks to him he will completely ignore her like she isn't talking.

You'll just have to keep pushing him until he learns to do on his own, I guess.

Cooked white rice will clear up diarrhea in dogs very quickly if the problem is something they ate. My sister's dog ate a whole chicken carcass he grabbed from the counter when he was a puppy (he was a very big puppy), and he pooped ALL OVER THE HOUSE while everyone was out. White rice cleared it up within hours if I remember correctly.

The funny thing, to me at least, about the whole thing is that I really hate dogs (sorry dog people, I just hate them!) and never wanted my parents to get one. When the poop-everywhere thing happened I refused to help out - which I had said from the beginning I would never take care of the dog, and I never have. My parents were SO MAD. Eheheh.

Things are even worse now. I'm going to kill my brother. Now, this dog is nine years old, not some puppy. He stopped giving him his liquid after ONE day because it was "to hard". He had to give it to him in a syringe. I have been giving my dog meds that way for two months since I found out she had cancer. I've been nipped, bitten and growled at. It's a fight every-time I give her meds.

I have no problem giving him the regular pill he is on, but I am not giving him the liquid. I told my brother that. His dog gets nasty, it's hard enough giving it to my own dog twice a day.

The dog did not have loose stool this afternoon, but I don't think his meds can just be stopped!

I have to much on my plate with my own dog to take over caring for my brother's dog as well.

I can't even look at my brother right now I'm so angry.

This is my brother's dog:

c4358e91.jpg

He is a 16 pound yorkie.

I hate to be the one who says this,but I'm sure that I am not the only one thinking it,but it might be the best thing in the dog's interest to find him a new home or surrender to a rescue.You have your hands full and your brother doesn't want to care for him so the dog deserves a better living situation. There are many rescues who can take in/rehome him once he is healthy.Yorkies/smaller dogs are usually very quickly adopted or at least find a loving foster family.Just my opinion.

Surrendering him would never happen. He has been a part of our family for nine years.

I've been talking with my mom, she is going to try and give him his liquid meds. My mom is dealing with her own health issues, as well as the fact her own dog is in stage three kidney failure.

My parents helped me with my dog, we spent around $2,000 on her so far, and she is 13. I don't think my brother would spend that on his dog. Heck, I didn't have it to spend on my dog, but I found the money. Some of my bills went unpaid, but my baby girl was worth it.

My brother loves his dog, but my brother is an idiot. He did pay for the dogs vet bill. He does take care of him, but he is stupid about it sometimes. He thinks I'm crazy when I think something is wrong with an animal and take it to the vet.

Renee. If this dog is part of the family and if you feel so strongly about the care for this dog, then step up to the plate and ensure he gets the care he really deserves. If he requires medication to get better, then he should get it and get it in a timely fashion. Whether that medication is given by you, your mom, your brother, or all three of you it doesn't matter.

Also, you make it sound like your brother is neglecting his dog and then state he is caring for it. Are you seeking to get people riled up and create drama? I can tell you there are a number of people here who would have no problem with turning your brother in for neglect if he is allowing his dog to have uncontrolled diarrhea and isn't seeking the care it requires (which is basically what your first posting implied). Something for you to think about...

I'm sorry if it sounded that way. It's Just frustration with him. What I meant is that he does care for the dog, but lacks common sense in caring for him medically. Maybe I jumbled the meaning together.

I'm not trying to cause drama, what purpose would that serve? I can see what you mean though, reading back on my post it does seem to come off that way. I do apologize for not being clear. I didn't mean to upset anyone. Thank you for bringing it to my attention, I really do need to be more careful and express myself better.

Back