I'm creating a monster

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kalandra

I think I must be doing something wrong when it comes to hedgehogs. So I'm hoping someone here can point out the error of my ways.

As you all know Tula came home just over a week ago. She is adjusting very well. She loves her wheel, eats well and LOVES snuggle time. I have started her on the same routine I've used for many years now.

8pm. Hedgehog time! Wake hedgehog up. Feed mealworms. Offer snuggle bag. Cuddle hedgehog while reading, watching television or browse the web. Play with hedgehog when hedgehog wakes up.

This routine seems to be of Tula's liking. When I wake her up, she now looks for the mealworms. She sits on my lap looking up at me and at the location of the bowl of mealworms.

During cuddle time, she will sprawl out in her cuddle bag and nap for a while, then often she will wake up and start to peak out at me. If I start to talk to her, she comes out. The last couple of evenings she has been pushing herself under my hand and sprawling out. She seems to like being held while napping.

I have discovered that Tula loves baby food sweet peas. She's had them a few nights in a row. Two nights ago she went immediately to the location of her pea bowl when put back in her cage. Last night I decided to try baby food green beans. Again she goes to check the food bowl. Pokes her nose in, looks up at me with a bit of a frown, and runs off behind her wheel. An hour or so later (after I was asleep), I woke abruptly to a loud noise. It was Tula. I got up to see what was going on. She was banging her "pea" bowl against the side of her cage. In it was the still untouched green beans. After discovering the problem, I told her to just eat the green beans. Her response? Huff Huff Huff, bang bowl against cage wall, huff huff huff.

This is not the first hedgehog to do this! I think I've already created another monster. What am I doing wrong?!?!?!?!

AHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA! Oh, Princess Tula...bad, mean old mommy gave her the wrong green mushies! I love your hedgehogs!

This is not the first hedgehog to do this! I think I've already created another monster. What am I doing wrong?!?!?!?!

Um, you didn't give her her peas! :duh: Lol!

Ah... I see the issue. You failed to live up to expectations!

Solution: Reverse time and replace the green bean bowl with a sweet pea bowl. Next to the pea bowl, you may place the green bean bowl. After she's accepted green beans, you may then place a third bowl for carrots, a fourth for watermelon, and so on until the entire side of her cage is lined with Tula-approved fruits and vegetables.

Now that wasn't so hard, was it?

;)

I guess she really started getting into the routine and wasn't too pleased the moment it didn't follow the expected course. Too cute. Has she determined who her favorite "parent" is yet?

Eventually the green beans did get eaten, but I certainly got told about it last night. She was also cranky with me this morning. I figure she hasn't been here that long, and since her diva is coming out already.... I'm doomed!

No favorites yet. She seems to be happy enough with either of us. I think she's going to be quite a love bug.

I'm not understanding the problem here. This is normal behavior in my house...

Bwahahahahaha!

It's good to know Tula is training you up properly, Julie ;)

I had to get my little man a dish that is attached to the side of the cage and can be removed by pushing up on a lever. He's a dish thrower.

This morning she was not too happy with the fact I got up for work. She was still going full speed on her wheel and apparently I was not suppose to disturb her wheel running. I turned on the light and there was Tula still on her wheel, giving me "that" look. The last I saw her before leaving for work she was busy burrowing under her liner (for which I tried to convince her to not do several times) and was moving her wheel around. She may be 304 grams, but she's quite strong.

I really just hope she doesn't teach the new one all of these tricks!

Perhaps, or maybe night vision goggles? 10 days and already knows who rules the house.

Back