I'm confused (Bedding material)

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shopaholic0514

So I guess some people here use pine bedding and some use fleece liners.
And pine bedding is what I've been using.
But lately I read this book called : The chinchillas handbook, written by Sharon L. Vanderlip, DVM
She said in her book:
Pelleted and shredded paper make excellent bedding and are highly recommended, but they are msot costly. Wood shavings smell pleasent and absorb urine and odors. they are also more affordable than the recommended paper products, but there are many good reasons not to use them:
* Chinchillas may chew on the shavings and eat them, this can lead to serious health problems, such as gastrointestinal obstruction.
* Some wood shavings have sharp particles and are abrasive and cause food sores.
* Particles found in wood shavings may get into your pet's eyes and injure them.
* Fine dust from wood shavings irritates then lungs and leads to allergies.
* Many types of wood shavings, such as pine and cedar, contain substances and volatile oils that can cause health conditions, including liver problems, allergies and skin problems.
If you decided to use wood shavings, use only aspen shavings.

I am just wondering, since the book is published in 2005, maybe information has changed? And I noticed barely anybody is using pelleted paper bedding, why is that?

I have never heard of any problems associated with Pine shavings. Cedar YES....it can cause upper respiratory problems.
But Pine and Aspen are both acceptable.

I have heard using Care Fresh can be problematic and cause GI obstruction if swallowed, but other than that I haven't heard any issues with Pine.

I have used Soft wood Pine for over a decade and have never had any problems :)

The Vet is wrong. All the big breeders use pine shavings for many many years. If there were problems it would have been stopped immediately. They can't afford to loose their animals. I have been using pine shavings for 13 years - no problems. Yes, some chew the shavings - it does not harm the chin. The fact is that Carefresh (which uses paper) is dangerous and has been know to cause intestinal blockage. I image that 'pelleted paper bedding might have the same problem??
So many books have false information in them - even written by Vets

I use aspen/kiln dried pine......I had bought care fresh but chin-chin tried to eat it so I switched to shavings immediately id rather he chew on safe wood shavings then paper....Chins may chew on the shavings and mine spits them out if he dows chew like he does the lava, and sticks but I rotate the chew toys so they dont get bored and are not interested in shavings...any time you switch bedding they may chew/sniff until they get used to it...

I'm currently still experimenting with what bedding I'm most happy with.

I started off with using Kaytee Granules. They're little tiny granules made up of wood fibers. I ran some under the water before I put them in and they don't expand, so I'm assuming they're safe. Not much has been said about them though, so I was a little iffy with continuing with them until I heard more about them. I'm debating switching back because I found them easier to deal with cage cleaning wise. They are really small though and I found they made a mess because Leo would kick them out of his cage everywhere.
This is them:
http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2753653#prodTab1

Then I went to pine shavings, but they felt too prickly for me and I was slightly indifferent on them.

Lately I found these pellets at Petco that is wood compressed into pellet form. I'm absolutely in love with them, they don't get outside of the cage or anything. The only downside to them is that they are a more expensive option. I got a big bag for about $10 that only lasted me 2 cage changes. Meanwhile a bag of wood shavings lasts about 5 or so. And costs much less.

Just now after running out of those pellets, I've picked up a bag of aspen shavings for literally $3 at WalMart. I'm a little tight on money so thats the best option as of now for me.

I have onlt recently switched to fleece, but up until then I used pine or Aspen for years with no issues health wise. If ever the time came where I would give up on the fleece I would switch back to the pine with no issues.The only "problem" I ever had with the pine bedding is that Trixie did not seem to like sleeping on it...she would always push it all out of her wooden house, and then go in to sleep.

* Many types of wood shavings, such as pine and cedar, contain substances and volatile oils that can cause health conditions, including liver problems, allergies and skin problems.
If you decided to use wood shavings, use only aspen shavings.

Cedar is not recommended and the the volatile oils is why only KD pine is recommended- the drying process cooks the oils out of the wood.

I found these pellets at Petco that is wood compressed into pellet form. I'm absolutely in love with them, they don't get outside of the cage or anything. The only downside to them is that they are a more expensive option. I got a big bag for about $10 that only lasted me 2 cage changes
Myself and Ronda have been using these for years. You can get a 40lb bag at the feed store for $4-$7. They're normally used for horse stalls. Some even have PDZ in there as a deodorizer, it makes a huge difference.

You can put a potty pan or dish in the back and put 4-5 cups of the pellets in and it works great. They expand into sawdust as they get wet. I do that and use a dust buster to suck up the poops for the guys that come in the house.

Of all the products I find paper stinks the most when it gets wet, not sure why they recommend it other than newspaper is "free". The ones that drop onto newspaper you almost have to change daily or the smell is overwhelming in a herd environment.

how can you tell if the pine bedding is kiln dried or not? if i got one from petstore it has to be kiln dried. right?

Myself and Ronda have been using these for years. You can get a 40lb bag at the feed store for $4-$7. They're normally used for horse stalls. Some even have PDZ in there as a deodorizer, it makes a huge difference..

Holy crap. What feed store is this? If it's a chain I might be able to find one around here, if not then I'll have to do my hunting. The only one I know around here is Tractor Supply.

I get mine for $4.99 when they come on sale at Tractor supply. They run $4.99 to $6.99 depending on the time of the year.

I stopped by Tractor Supply today. The only pellets I found for horse bedding were corn cob based. Those aren't the ones you were talking about correct? I also found pine pellets in the small animal section that was only a 20lb bag.

Latest posts

Back