I'm a little confused...

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rimbaum

I've been reading a lot of conflicting information about giving chinchillas raisins as a treat. Some sites say just one a day, others say up to three, and still others say don't give my chin raisins at all! :err: What the heck? What should I do? I've already given her some raisins, but not more than two in a day. Should I stop, give her a treat more rarely, or am I okay?

Stop with raisins all together. They are way too sugary for chins and can cause digestive problems. There is also some controversy because raisins/grapes are though to be toxic to some animals.

Safe treats (though still given in moderation) are crushed or whole rose hips, bite size shredded wheat, a pinch of old fashioned (slow cook) oats, a plain cherrio, and the all time favorite, apple twigs.

I think it is in the best interest of your chin to replace the raisins with safer options. there are lots of items that in moderation you can give your chins. Everything Stack mentioned.......plus occasional chin safe cookies, hibiscus leafs, dried rose petals or mini buds, pumice, hay cubes, cardboard bagels, loofah, varieties of safely prepared wood, etc.....
many members here run stores that sell the above and more!! check out the classifieds.

Definitely, stop the raisins. All of the other treats mentioned are good. Remember that "in moderation" means one or two a week. That does not mean one or two of each a week. It' s the total you need to look at.

Thank you so much. I wasn't sure at first, and I knew it was better to ask now and avoid serious problems later.

I think I'll stick with plain cheerios, since we generally have a steady supply of them in our house.

I had given my chin raisins when I first got her and didn't know any better. She really liked them, but as the others have already said, it is in your chin's best interest to stop giving them to your chin, and stick with the safer treats.

When I got my first chin the breeder said.. To train them to stay in your lap.. just have them sit and keep feeding them raisins.. I totally never did that. I did give Pov Raisins like once a week. But I switched over to Plain Cheerios and apple sticks. They go nuts for those!

The breeder I purchased from recommended raisins as well and even sent me home with a small box of them. My chin was 2 months old at the time....meh! Thankfully I had found this forum a few days before I got him and only gave him a raisin the first day.These days he loves his occasional shredded wheat or plain cheerio :)

I think it is in the best interest of your chin to replace the raisins with safer options. there are lots of items that in moderation you can give your chins. Everything Stack mentioned.......plus occasional chin safe cookies, hibiscus leafs, dried rose petals or mini buds, pumice, hay cubes, cardboard bagels, loofah, varieties of safely prepared wood, etc.....
many members here run stores that sell the above and more!! check out the classifieds.

Hibiscus leaf? Never heard of this one before, should they be dried? Certain kind of plant?

Back