Ignoring chin

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

starrynight0621

I haven't been giving my 2-year-old chin as much attention as before, due to some unfortunate recent events. I originally got him because my ex wanted him, but I was the only one who actually took care of him (cleaned his cage, that kind of thing). I grew fond of him though; I like it when he grooms me.

In my old apartment, he used to be at the foot of my bed. I heard him running all night on his chin spin, it helped me sleep. In my new apartment, he has to be in the second bedroom during the summer because that's where the portable air conditioner is hooked up.

I might give him a few scritches at night and a willow twig. I clean his cage twice a week, soak his bottle once a month in vinegar, and sand his wooden shelves about once every 6 months. Some nights I feel so terrible that I go to bed without checking on him. Luckily he has a water bottle that I know can never clog (it's a ryerson bottle).

I guess I'm wondering if I need to take better care of him, or if he'll be okay. Or if I should give him to someone who can give him more attention even though in a way, I'd be sad losing him too. I like him with me because I know I can make sure he's always at the right temperature and has the things he needs.

I'm sorry to hear that recent events have caused you to be unable to spend less time with your chin. It sounds like you are still keeping his cage and accessories clean which is a good thing. In my opinion, I think the most important thing is to look at quality of life. You are keeping everything in good condition for him, but keep in mind that chins are social creatures too. Imagine if you were stuck in a cage day in and day out without much stimulation (totally not trying to sound mean at all, just trying to help with perspective here). I try to at least let my chins out for playtime every other day or more often if I can. For me personally, this semester has already had a busy start for me so its been every other day mostly. I know if I don't let them out often enough, they all seem to get bummed out (ears down, looking bored).

Some people would likely disagree with me on the amount of playtime chins need and say its less important. For instance, large ranches don't let their chins out for playtime because their animals aren't pets. I personally think playtime is important because it lets them run around and stretch their legs, be in a different environment besides cage, interact with you, etc. Many animals I've seen in captivity seem to do well when they have appropriate social interaction whether with their own kind or with people. If you don't wish to rehome your chin (sounds like you don't want to), perhaps you could come up with a plan that works for your schedule to spend time with him. It would probably also make you feel better knowing that he got some run around time outside of the cage. It doesn't even have to be a super long playtime, even 20 min is good to squeeze in. Anyway, hope this helps you! I totally understand life can throw us all curve balls and mess up our routines and all kinds of things! Just take baby steps! Maybe spending time with your chin will also help you feel better in general since you said some days you go straight to bed not feeling well. Animals can definitely help lift our spirits!

Not at least checking in on your chin on a daily basis can be risky for its healthy because you will be much less likely to notice if your chin is acting out of the ordinary or giving you subtle clues that all might not be well. Because chins can go downhill very quickly I think it is important for you to try and spend at least a little time checking in each day. Perhaps there is something that you would normally do in another room that you could do in your chin's room, like eating breakfast or doing some homework. Even if your chin is still in its cage during this time, it would allow you to make sure everything is alright. You might also want to consider purchasing a wheel for your chin so that he can exercise. I also agree with the above post about quality of life.

I'm hesitant to do playtime because my apartment is so nasty, I don't trust it. The carpet is ten years old. I don't want Wally to pick up diseases from it. Plus I don't have an appropriate playtime pen. I have tried cardboard but he just rips it off and eats it, which can cause impaction and kill him.

I haven't felt too bad about playtime because he lives alone in a Ferret Nation 182. He has wood shelves, a fleece hut, a hammock, hanging chew toys (which he has spent a lot of time destroying lately), and a chin spin. He definitely gets his exercise. He used to have a cagemate Orville but Orville died August 2012. He had some strange bacteria in his lungs, there was nothing we could do to save him.

I like the idea of doing more in his room like breakfast.

I understand your hesitation for playtime if the carpet is yucky. I usually use the bathroom as my chin's play area since its tile. I'll sit on the floor with them and they like to crawl on me, jump on the side of the tub, etc.

If you want to visit your chin in his cage more and do the breakfast thing, I think that's a great idea because he can see you and you can talk to him/pet him. Sometimes I'll even do my homework and let the chins keep me company!

I would think long and hard before getting him a companion. Since you have already had two chins in the past, I'm sure you are definitely familiar with the introductions process. The new chin might get along with your current one, or maybe not and they end up in two separate cages. Be sure to weigh all pros and cons of course before proceeding. I have 4 male chins myself.....none of them are too fond of each other, although two of them I'm still hopeful for! I would say do what you are most comfortable with as far as getting a second chin or not, just be prepared appropriately of course.:thumbsup:

Latest posts

Back