If you had to choose (wheels)

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

comtnmama

Ijust rescued two girls. I am working on upgrading their cage. The one they came in is adaquate, but too small I think. So I got a nice big cage for them. Yay.

BUT they came with 2 wheels. One is plastic (silent spinner type) and one is wire mesh. They LOVE running so I want to put something in their new house. But which is the lesser of 2 evils?

I am hoping to have budget for a chin spin in a month or so.

Thr plastic one could become impacted if they chew and the wire mesh could lead to a broken leg...so which is lesser evil broaken leg or impaction? I would say if you can't afford a good wheel yet that the best thing to do is go without a wheel for a little while. That is by far the safest thing and chinchillas can live without wheels

I think the wire mesh is more immediately dangerous. I don't know how old/big your chins are, but the other issue with the silent spinners is that they are too small for chins and cause them to bend their back unnaturally. I would do as Kristy suggested and have them go without for the month.

Enjoy your new chins and welcome to CnH!

Yeah, that is what I though you would say! Sigh, I feel bad but I will do it. Although I will say these gals have ingested A LOT of plastic in their lives. They cage they came in has a plastic bottom that is completely chewed. I know their previous owner loved them, but oiy!

Thanks!

Thr plastic one could become impacted if they chew and the wire mesh could lead to a broken leg...so which is lesser evil broaken leg or impaction? I would say if you can't afford a good wheel yet that the best thing to do is go without a wheel for a little while. That is by far the safest thing and chinchillas can live without wheels

agreed. your chins will be fine without a wheel. just ensure they get regular playtime outside their cage, daily if possible.

my Rhino is without a wheel and he is doing just fine. he gets out for playtime just about every night and lets off a boatload of steam, lol. he came with a wire mesh wheel and i said no way to that going anywhere near him!

I agree with getting rid of both :D Both scare the bejesus out of me i can just see an accident waiting to happen. I dont have a wheel or a flying saucer either as they are both sooo expensive, instead my little monsters have an hour + playtime everynight :D

Well, I just moved them into their big new house (without wheel) and they seem pretty happy. So hopefully they will have enough to explore to keep them interested and happy for awhile!

My chin is without a wheel, but I really want the flying saucer. They just LOVED their old wheel, but it was too loud in the last cage and won't attach easily to their new cage. Oh well...

Latest posts

Back