Ideas to make chinchilla more entertained?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kdiz123

I've had my chinchilla Freddie for 2 weeks now. he's really cute and I love him, I play with him for like an hour a half a day. I would more but he is still a little scared of me, since he's pretty new. But the rest of the time he's usually just sleeping and seems really bored in his cage. He lives alone there. I'm thinking of buying him a wheel but either way I want him to have some fun stuff to do. What can I give him or do so he can be more entertained? It must get lonely for him! He has chew toys and a alfalfa tube, I give him dust baths 3 times a week and he likes them but I can't give him one everyday. What else can I do?:) Any ideas?

Different kinds of chews and toys are great, loose hay to munch on as well :) I make sure my boys have a lot of different toy options and I rotate them around week to week to keep it interesting. Sleeping and not doing much during the day is pretty standard for a chin though, they are most active at night!
If you do get him a wheel, make sure that it is big enough! 15 inches is a pretty safe bet. Also, you don't want one that is made of mesh or plastic because the mesh can eat chin toes and plastic is bad for chewing ;) The flying saucer and chin spin are some great choices, but there are other options as well. How old is your little guy?

You've only had him for 2 weeks, so he is probably still settling into his new home. When I first got Luna, she was much less active in her cage and didn't play too much except during free time. I would give her new toys as often as possible to see what she liked best, and then stocked up on her favorites.

Once she settled in, she became much more active in general. She LOVES to run in her wheel! She flings her hanging toy around and hops around the cage, using every surface she has...ledges, food bowl, hammock, even her wheel. I think it just took her some time to come out of her shell.

Of course, all chinnies have their own personality, but give Freddie some more time to settle in and keep giving him different toys to keep him curious.
:)

He is 1 year old :) I will go look for some new toys and when I see he get's bored change the toys a few times until I find one that he loves :) Maybe he is still getting used to his surroundings though :) Sometimes when I take him out for playtime he runs around for like 10 minutes then he just rests in a corner, maybe he is just tired.

Chins love sleeping, ledges, hiding places/houses, and chewing things. chins sleep more than they are awake, and have their own cycle. try playing everyday around the same time and he will adjust to that.

Also usually boredom is expressed in behavior, like digging out all the sawdust from a corner bin and rattling the cage, or being really moody. Sleep is something chins just love to do.

Last edited:
Back