Ideas for Displaying/Storing Ribbons & Rosettes

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cool quilt AND jacket story!!!

I would have loved to known about chins when they were such a new industry "back in the good old days"!!!

I keep trophies and ribbons on the mantle in the chin basement. You could use any kind of china cabinet, glass pantry, etc. but the quilt is cool!

This summer I bookmarked several websites that make ribbon quilts. Maybe this winter I will get I gear and use their pics as inspiration and get my own ribbon quilt done! There are very nice ideas out there incorporating the rosettes, too.

Great thread, Juanita! Thank you for starting it!:)

Oh I am SO making a tote! I always take one to show with me for all my show stuffs (combs, paperwork, camera, pens) and this is SUCH a nice piece! Thanks for the post.

We have been gone a few days and now have the time to add to this thread.

I believe it was Burl Smith that had the Green Honorable Mention Jacket. I remember him wearing it to the banquet at a National Show one year.

For those that don't know how the first shows were placed, there were only 1-1st, 1-2nd, 1-3rd, 1-4th and 1-5th in a class... regardless of size of class. An Honorable Mention was awarded any animal that was 'equal to’ the 5th place animal.

I specifically remember the National Show in 1972 in Anaheim, CA where one class had 5 previous State Grand Show Champions - yes, only 1- 1st, 1 -2nd, 1 3rd, 1 - 4th and 1 - 5th were given. In other words a State Grand Show Champion received a 5th place!!!
These shows also had hundreds of entries so had large classes – not the 1, 2 & 3, etc. in a class we see at times today.

This is how multiple ribbons eventually came to be. It started first with just multiple 1st place and later added 2nd - 5th which eliminated the need for the dreaded green ribbon - Honorable Mention. I guess that was much better than all the animals that used to be placed - 'under the table' - no award.

Our first National Show - we were proud to have received mostly green ribbons. In reality that was only 6th animal down in the class out of very large classes.

The ideas that have been suggested are very clever.

What we did over the years was to make tall cylinders out of cage wire and placed them on each side of our fire place. As the number of ribbons grew we added two to a side and then three – making them different heights. The clips on the backs of the rosettes would then just hook on the wire and you could bend a paper clip to make a hanger for the place ribbons. After awhile we just hung the rosettes.

One nice thing about this type of display was that it was easy to clean. You could just dust from the top down (today’s swifters would be great) and it was clean in no time.

Here are a couple old picture I found to show how they looked. You could easily make a tall skinny wire tube and place in a corner of your unit or somewhere in the house if you don’t have a fireplace area.

I hope this is helpful.

Barbara
http://www.shootschinchilla.com

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 43
  • 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 43
Wow Barbara - that is a great idea as well. It will be a while before I have that many ribbons (and especially rosettes to display in such a manner)! A tote might be the way to go for now! :)

BTW - I just love the television in the 2nd photo - be careful, yoou might be dating yourself! :)

;) show off! Just kidding, that's a lovely display idea. I, myself, will also settle for a tote. To be honest, my ribbons started collecting so much dust...I threw many away. A good, three rosettes and many many ribbons. I only have red and blue ribbons though, and it makes for a "too much patriotic" theme on a tote...hmmm...well, I shall let ya'll know as I'm going to my aunts this weekend to discuss tote ideas ;)

Thank you for that history lesson Barb! I so enjoy hearing about the way things were done long ago!!! I remember when we came to your place, all those trophies, cups, ribbons etc were so much fun to walk around and look at :) one day maybe we will have a very small fraction of the awards you have to display them in such an awesome way!

Another display idea....

Cut a piece of cage wire and hang on the wall. You can then attach the ribbons and rosettes to that.

If you like you could use an old frame and put the piece of wire in that...or make a frame around the wire if your piece is larger than a normal frame.

I have seen this done for jewelry - why not ribbons?

Barbara

Another display idea....

Cut a piece of cage wire and hang on the wall. You can then attach the ribbons and rosettes to that.

If you like you could use an old frame and put the piece of wire in that...or make a frame around the wire if your piece is larger than a normal frame.

I have seen this done for jewelry - why not ribbons?

Barbara

I like it! Thank you for sharing!:thumbsup:

SO nearly 6mos later and I finally got around to it ;) Only took a few hours for my aunt to put together. Purchased the fabric at good old Wal-Mart (it's duck fabric) the ribbon for edging was easy to find too. I didn't use NEARLY all of my ribbons but I used ones from my very first show right up to present. The rosette is actually not attached as I'm debating that. I can either attach it using a pin backing, sew it on...or not put it on altogether. Thoughts?

Oh, and the ribbons/liner goes the whole way around the tote. Tote dimensions are about 15"w by 12.5" deep with a "boxed" bottom. LOVE IT!

Attachments

• 100_4123.jpg
    100_4123.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 34
  • 100_4124.jpg
    100_4124.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 31

Latest posts

Back