I wrote a chinchilla book!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gabby88

We all know how terrible the current chinchilla books on the shelves are. So I decided to write my own book. It has taken me pretty much all year, but I finally am close to being done. I just got my proofs in the mail today! YAY! Now I just need to do all of the edits and add my table of contents, and I'll be done.

What do you think? Does it look okay?

book_zps84375224.jpg

book2_zps568e14f7.jpg

And here's a video of me flipping through the inside so you can get a general idea of what it looks like
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCKscluL300&feature=youtu.be

Also, I'm looking for more short owner stories and experiences to add to the book. I have a few already, but I have room for more. Post here or PM me if you would like to have your story/experience along with a photo added to the book. :)

That's a good idea. I can post the table of contents here.

The book has information on safe and unsafe wood, treats, pellets, toy parts, etc. It also has a section about unsafe items like death balls. Tells how to process your own wood, make your own fleece liners, how to make shelves. Safe cages etc. There's even a chin cookie recipe in there. It covers the basics of most things.

Thank you! :)

PM me any short stories about your experience owning chins to get in the book.

i got several stories, most of which ive told here before. But many of them are from improper care/precautions before i new much. :(

The only thing i might consider adding to the cover would be something along the lines of 'dispelling common and dangerous misconceptions on chinchilla care, health, and safety'.

Might not fit very well with it all, but the one thing that annoys me a great deal is when i see improper/bad/unhealthy/potentially fatal, advise being given about chins. - No easier example then the ultra common chin+raisins. Something like that on the cover would get me to stop and check it out personally.

on another note, i have been wanting to make one myself. Compiling all the good info i can get into one spot. So hopefully your book turns out great! (and save me the time of making one lol)

Keep us updated on its availability. Might be a good thing to get libraries to buy, along with pet stores, obviously.

I am also working on a book, have been for over 2 years (the research has been going on for 9 years). I am glad to see that I am not the only one taking this on. As far as I am concerned, the more of us, the better. I still have a ways to go, but I believe it is worth putting in the effort. Keep up the good work.

Oh I would love to buy one. It sounds great and all the books I have here contain so much conflicting info. It will be nice to read a book created by an experienced owner. Would I be able to get my hands on one being over here in the UK?

How neat!!!! I wrote you a PM. I might have a cute story with pics for your book :D I also want a copy!

Thank you all for the stories and pictures!! I really appreciate it. I thought it would be fun to add people's experiences in the book, so this really helps.

Keep the stories coming. Also, if you could add a photo and mention your first and last name, that would be great!

I would love a copy of the book before I get my chinchilla. Do you know when it will be ready for sale?

This looks really interesting and could be really informative compared to the crap that is usually sold in pet stores!

Have you decided on a price for your book? Have you tried getting it into any pet stores or libraries? (not sure how that process works and if you need the final version of the book in order to begin trying to do that).

I think it'll end up being around $15 (just because it's fairly expensive to have printed). It's around 80 pages total. I would love to get it in book stores and libraries, but it costs more to have it distributed to those places. It'll just be on Amazon for now and there will be a Kindle version as well. But I can donate some copies to libraries in the area. And I can contact local pet stores to see if they're interested.

Latest posts

Back