I wonder why?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eric4144

Apparently soft wood beddings that have been kiln dried are safe. That seems to be excepted fact everywhere. I was wondering why in the heck don't the dang companies that put cedar out go one more step and kiln dry it to remove the majority of the phenols and hydrocarbons like they do in KDP? This one step could possibly save lives!!! At the very least it would reduce the health risks associated with cedar. This makes no sense to me what so ever. Why don't they just do this? I feel so bad when I go to a friends or a pet shop and see the poor animals on cedar. (I always try to educate these people but seems no one is willing to listen.) Kiln dried pine is just as cheap as regular pine so that's no excuse. I'm sorry this has turned into more of a rant but I read another thread about bedding and this got me to really thinking about how to fix this problem. What do you guys think could this possibly help those animals? What if we petitioned the companies to at the very least do this? Would that help save animal lives? Is that how they started kiln drying pine? What do we need to do to fix this? Wouldn't it be worth it to the company to possibly boost sales in their product just to take this one very cheap step to make it safer like the very popular kdp?
I'm interested in hearing what you guys think on this.

My guess is because of its natural ability to repel fleas and such. Its useful for larger outside aniamls. In the open air in an area an animal doesn't stay 24/7 its not harmful. Its just our little guys in small cages that suffer from people not understanding the difference.

I believe most of the pine shavings we see bagged are what's left of a 'machining' process, as when they make furniture! They use huge vacuums to keep the dust down.
Those big shavings we get are from a lathe - they can take big chunks, as wood is soft!
I was once at a company that machines fenceposts, and they sell all the scraps swept up. The owner was bragging about the money gained, as they used to just throw it out!
If you kiln-dried cedar, you'd loose most of the bug-repelling properties, too.

Latest posts

Back