I Want To Breed

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CelesteCorinne

Chin Mom
In the future, I would like to become a chinchilla breeder. I'm going to try to make this clear, because my post in Chins Wanted confused a few people and they got the wrong idea. I do NOT want to breed right now. I want to make sure that I know all I can from people who know what they are talking about before I even consider putting two chins of the opposite sex in the same cage. Of course I have done much internet research about pregnancies and kits, but if there is anything you guys have to offer, I'd be glad to hear it.

I'll tell you the same thing I told you in your other post - start reading. Chin breeding and babies is an excellent section to start in and the FAQ's regarding why to breed, the lethal factor, and kit care are also good places to start.

Keep a notebook handy. Jot down notes and questions you want to ask. Check all those threads and use the search engine - odds are it has already been asked and answered. We can all sit and regurgitate information, but I seriously think a person retains more if they have to work for it.

Two biggest things - buy the best you can and find an experienced mentor (not a backyard breeder). When I say buy the best you can, I don't mean $50.00 chins off of CL. I mean good quality chins. Most people recommend starting with at least one standard, and I agree. If you want whites, get a standard and pair it with a mosaic.

I agree totally with Peggy (Tunes). Also go to chinchilla shows - you will meet other breeders and see what traits you should be breeding for.

I did my homework for 5 years before I even bought my first foundation herd male. I found the male first. It could be a female for you. Then I sat back and did some more work by finding the correct female he needed. I breed in pairs. Most breed in runs.
I took my time to shop, talk to hobby breeders and ranchers, and attended a few shows before I made my first female purchase. My kits did very well on the table and I know what I need to correct minor flaws. One pair of mutes that I bred did not do very well and I culled that entire line. And went back to the standard. After researching another mute line, I made a purchase and will proceed with it in the future.
I agree that a wise person who will be new to the process should stick with standard. And ask yourself what phase to work with. A light phase? A medium phase? Or dark? Or extra dark? Pairing is important for each phase.

Now back to my 5 year study. I bought a three ringed binder and put material in it as I learned. I also became an MCBA member and those magazines have incredible sources of information in them. And anyone can join. You don't have to show or even own a chin to become a member. Also attend as many shows as you can afford. Many share rides and rooms.
I suggest the first item in your binder should be the exotic vet. List as many back up vets in case your first choice is NOT in the office that day. And don't freak out when there is a day you don't find a vet. Call your mentor if possible. Find a good feed store supplier. With 15 chins here I buy 50 pounds at a time at a local feed store who orders it for me. I cannot find anything but Mazuri in my area. Bulk feed that is. And a bale of hay broken apart lasts me a good six months stored well.

I am sure others will post so much more. But that is how I started. Knowledge, a superior mentor(s) and show attendance will start you off on a good path.

Added after posting: Peggy is also correct if you want to work with mosaics. Have a fantastic standard in there. White ( mosaic white ) and standard are also a good start outside of standard to standard for beginners. Make sure your breeder knows WHITE!! No cream in it. The clean clear white in the fur is a MUST! Anything else will make you do this :banghead: on the show table. Know your white!!!

Last edited:
Thank you guys. Tunes (or Peggy if I may call you that), you seem to have a lot of experience and an attitude in reply to most of my posts. I understand that you are just trying to make sure that people really know what they are doing before they get into breeding and it can be frustrating reading that someone just wants to become a breeder with the experience of only owning one chin. But this is why I post and ask, to learn some more.
Dusters, in 5 years I could only imagine how much you learned. Where could I keep track of these chin shows and know if there are any around me? I'd be grateful to learn from a good mentor as you said.

How is recommending you do some research having an attitude? I would say the exact same thing to anybody wanting to start out, and I have on many occasions. I started out with a mentor before I went to any shows, before I went to any big barns. My mentor had a huge amount of chins and was a vet besides. I learned a lot from him.

If you take a look through the forum, with most of the long term members here, they will all say the same thing. Do your research. Do some reading. Take notes. Learn. Do they have attitudes as well? If that's how you took it, that wasn't how I intended it.

Shows are listed on the respective websites for MCBA or Empress. Or you can usually find out where upcoming shows are in the Chin Shows section of the forum.

Latest posts

Back