I think my chinchilla is sick? [PLEASE HELP!]

• Thread starter ChinchillaMan97
  • Start date
Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

ChinchillaMan97

Ok so starting this morning I noticed my chinchilla was only staying at the bottom of her cage. This is strange, because she always seems to relax towards the top. I can't get her to budge, she's only slightly moving.. she seems to be cocking her head to one side, and wobbling back and forth. Now I took this chinchilla in for a friend a few weeks ago and don't know much about them. what should I do?

also: the room she's in is about 70 degrees. is this too hot or cold?

please help!

She needs to see a vet immediately, as in, right now. Not in the morning, not the next day, right now. She is lethargic. Lethargy in a chin frequently ends up in death. She needs to see a vet to see what is going wrong. The head cocking is known as head tilt. I'd guess she's either got an ear infection, which in chins is very hard to cure (impossible without antibiotics) or a URI/pneumonia. In any case, she needs to see a vet ASAP.

70 degrees is okay. I prefer 65, but 70 is definitely doable for her.

I agree with Tunes. Definitely need to get her to a vet to have her ears checked!

It's possible she has an inner ear infection or even a ruptured ear drum.

You also need to make sure she's eating, and have some critical care or other hand feeding food source available.

She may have also had a seizure. Is she trembling? Either way i would get her to the vet. If it is a seizure ive heard of people rubbing a little corn syrup on their gums to boost their blood sugar. She still would need a vet tho to diagnose the problem....good luck

Chinchillaman, did you take your chin to the vet? How is he doing? Hopefully you made there in time. Sending chinny hugs your way....please keep us posted

I'm hoping this wasn't a troll. Someone posted immediately after they did about warming up a chin by heating up water to boiling then dipping the chin in repeatedly, and the OP hasn't been back since I banned the other one.

Hopefully not a troll, and hopefully the chin got to a vet and didn't die.

That's horrible. I am so glad I missed that thread. And even happier that the person was banned. Thanks for keeping on top of things.

I'm hoping this wasn't a troll. Someone posted immediately after they did about warming up a chin by heating up water to boiling them dipping the chin in repeatedly, and the OP hasn't been back since I banned the other one.

Hopefully not a troll, and hopefully the chin got to a vet and didn't die.

This doesn't seem like a troll. Troll's are usually very... intense. Like dipping a chin in boiling water.

One of my chins tilts her head to one side often. She always has. She's very active though, eats and plays really well and was checked over by the vet only a couple of months ago. Is there something with the head tilting I should be watching out for?
Thanks!
Hope

what is a troll?
sorry, I am spanish

An "Internet troll" or "Forum Troll" or "Message Board Troll" is a person who posts outrageous message to bait people to answer. Forum Troll delights in sowing discord on the forums. A troll is someone who inspires flaming rhetoric, someone who is purposely provoking and pulling people into flaming discussion. Flaming discussions usually end with name calling and a flame war.

An "Internet troll" or "Forum Troll" or "Message Board Troll" is a person who posts outrageous message to bait people to answer. Forum Troll delights in sowing discord on the forums. A troll is someone who inspires flaming rhetoric, someone who is purposely provoking and pulling people into flaming discussion. Flaming discussions usually end with name calling and a flame war.

Ohh, I see, thanks for letting me know! I know quite a bit of english but there's always words that I won't know so it's good to learn

Hope, your girl may just do it out of habit. The OP stated that her chin was displaying a head tilt in addition to other symptoms that are bad, i.e., wobbly, lethargic, etc. True head tilt isn't once in a while, it's all the time. Extreme head tilt can result in the chin walking in repeated circles. It's just a really horrible thing to watch.

Plus, ANY time a chin displays lethargy, you have a problem.

That is sooo crazy...apparently they either are one or their chin didnt make it cuz i would think they would've updated by now....how sad

My Toki tilts his head semi regularly, but he's still active and I assume he's eating since I was feeding him his hay earlier...but now I'm worried. Should I be concerned? He doesn't run in circles or anything and it sort of slowly happens when he's been resting in one spot for a little while.

Back