I think I'm just psyching myself out.

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bovril

Ellie&Bovril <3
I met my 3 week old kit today at the breeder's home and I got to hold him for quite a while. He was totally sweet and curious, but a little calmer than his sister--he spent part of the time content with being held. The breeder handles him daily so he's used to it.

I'm bringing him home in May and I'm psyching myself out. I know that it will take time and patience to bond with him, but what if I do something to make him skittish or afraid of me?

He'll probably be skittish and scared for the couple first couple days he's home with you, if not more. When I took (rescued) my chin from a friend, she was terrified of everything. Every little noise made her run and hide, it took her about a month to feel comfortable. She is very friendly with people, but all the new sights, sounds, smells, ect, freaked her out. Don't be surprised if that happens when he comes home with you. Don't be freaked out if he doesn't cuddle in your arms right away :)

That and they seem to be like teenagers till about two. =P

As long as he doesn't experience pain or terror he shouldn't have any lasting fears of you or the new house. But all my chins get shy when I move to a new house and they still have the same owner! So expect at least a period of adjustment to a new home. =)

Back