I think I'm allergic ):

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michelle (:

Since I've had Mel I've had rashes on my arms and hands, but I never really thought anything of it. But I noticed not holding him for about a week (I've been sick and didnt know if he could catch it) my arms have been very clear and holding him last night made them worse than they have ever been, they are really itchy and blotchy, my eyes get a little itchy and my nose gets stuffy but I dont know if thats just from my cold or not. I think I'm allergic and I might go to the Dr. to get tested for allergies, I'm really scared my parents are going to tell me to get rid of him if I do. I gave him a bath to see if it was something on his quills or maybe his bedding, but it didnt help, I still have the same reaction. I dont know what to do. ):

What type of bedding is he on? If shavings, carefresh or any commercial type bedding put him on liners. Bath him at the same time you switch. Use a bit of vinegar in the rinse water to cut any detergent residue.

Don't use any type of shampoo or washes on him in case you are reacting to it. Plain water is best so nothing can get poked into your skin.

How old is he? Sometimes babies cause more reaction than adults. Babies urine is usually stronger which can cause a problem.

Keep a box of baby wipes handy and wipe your arms and hand frequently while you have him with you.

After 6.5 years, I still get a rash on my chest if certain ones lay on me. I wipe with a baby wipe and it's gone within about 15 minutes.

I have him on liners and he has carefresh in his litter box. I havnt been using anything while bathing him because its usually just foot baths. Hes about 5 months old right now.

I'd get rid of the carefresh in the litter box and use paper towel instead. Hopefully it is the carefresh that is bothering you.

I find that it is best to wash my hands lots both before and after holding them. The quills definitely make me react but a quick wash immediately after (and absolutely no touching my face) and I'm fine.

Latest posts

Back