I think I need to give up my chins :(

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I tried using a litter pan, but they don't pee in any specific spot, so that didn't work. I also washed the fleece in white vinegar every time, but it wasn't the smell of the fleece after it had been washed, it was the smell of the fleece after one day of being peed on that smelled so horrible.

But anyways, the good news is that my husband built a wooden box for the bottom of the cage to replace the plastic pan the critter nation comes with. It has 9" sides so it keeps the shavings in pretty well. He even made a way that their flying saucer attaches to the wood but then can swivel out of the way and removed when we need to dump the shavings. So far it's working great! Thanks for all your suggestions!

I think a lot of people jump the gun about rehoming. Most of the time the pet would be happier to stay in it's familiar surroundings with it's familiar people and a little less attention than to have to adjust to a new home. Especially when the situation is temporary. Chins will live for 20 years if they don't get as much exercise for 6months it's really a drop in the bucket.

1. Highly recommend a really good wheel, or two, depending on how well your chins share, for your chins.
2. As has been said, playtime is not a necessity, with proper exercise equipment in the cages themselves. I do still let my chin out once a week, but only in the chin-proofed bathroom, and then only strictly supervised, because you can NEVER be 100% sure with these sneaky creatures.
3. Why do you HAVE to use fleece? My chin refuses to ever go on anything but aspenwood shavings. I have to put them in her carrier, even for short trips, just so she won't make herself sick! BUT every chin isn't like that. Some prefer the fleece to pee on, which contributes to your smell.
If you seriously loved your darling babies, you would be doing/trying anything and everything to find something that works for both them and your human family. ****, I would pay the $200 to fly with Athena out of Alaska when we PCS, but both Airlines cannot guarantee her safety for the trip, especially leaving in November. So instead, my hubby and I will be driving from Alaska to Kentucky mid winter, just to keep our baby safe and sound.. If that isn't love, I don't know what is.

Back