I really need some level-headed advice

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ABBY W.

To make a long story short, I sold a beige female chin to a boy and his mother about a year ago. At the time, the boy said something about wanting to breed. I explained all the reasons breeding should be taken seriously, and his mother assured me, after hearing what I had to say, that he would not be breeding the chinchilla (who is pet quality, which I specified to them, and did not provide a pedigree).

Over the past months I have received several emails from these people psing vague breeding-related questions, like what would happen from such and such a pairing. Each time I replied, answered there questions, again emphasized the seriousness of breeding, and offered to provide resources for them to read to learn about genetics and basic husbandry practices. Each time they assured me they were not breeding, but were curious, and looking towards that in the future.

Today I received this email:

Twinkie (the beige female I got from you) has been chewing her fur. I don't know why she started doing this, but do you have any suggestions about how to get her to stop? She was paired with a male, which I've separated her from, and she's probably pregnant. I don't know what to do????

My knee jerk response is to tell these people how irresponsible they are and not to contact me anymore, since they don't really listen to anything I have to say anyway.

What do you guys think? I would like to get my animal back, since she is obviously in a less than ideal situation. I'm pretty sure there is nothing I can do on that front. Should I try again to get them to do the right thing?

Honestly, my first response would be to ask to buy her back. Remind them the chance of c-sections and what will he do if there is a big litter? He goes to school and his mom maybe works (?)

Do you know if the chewing started while she was in with the male? He could of been the one chewing her coat. Do they know if she is far along? Some peoplel assume just because a male and female are together, she must be pregnant. I wonder if they could be doing something to stress her out.

Offering to buy her back sounds wonderful! Maybe she will go for that. I know you want to turn your back and forget about it, but those kits may need you, so maybe just give it a day or 2 to cool down and then answer anything she asked?

I would offer to buy her back as others have said. You could even offer advice again, but also preface it with saying, I'm happy to give you advice, however it would be to your very best advantage to actually listen to the advice I'm giving you, as clearly, in the past you have not.

I always want to have the last say somehow so I know I would be whipping that in there somehow.

did you have them sign a contract or anything? I know that the breeder that I got my first chin from made me sign a waver that said I would not breed them without discuss it with the breeder and in the event that I could no longer care for him he would be returned to her no questions asked. I remember her telling me "I dont care if you breed, but do it responsibly, and dont be afraid to ask questions."

I would also try to buy her back. Tell them how you feel. Not sure I would go the way Laurie did in saying that they dont listen(even though its true) but the negitivity could turn them against you and you will minimize your chances of being able to get her back. You could also direct them to this site.

Back