I ordered a FN 142

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shooper

"Ellie Mae"
My chins are in a huge corner cage now. The more I looked at how the doors open to expose the whole living area in the 142, the more I liked it! It should be here next week!! Any tips I should know about?

Congrats!! I love the FN it's so easy to clean and very roomy. I don't have much advice except for it's pretty heavy!!

although i don't have a FN (yet! lol) i do know that the shelves and pans they come with are plastic. so you would want to either replace them with wood shelves and metal pans or cover any plastic with fleece.

there is a thread on here called 'the ferret nation club'. it will give you some great ideas for decorating!

I recommend looking into either fleece liners or Bass pans. We prefer liners and potty pans which they use most of the time. We didn't use any of the ramps or shelves because we didn't want to do fleece on them so we made a lot of wooden shelves.

although i don't have a FN (yet! lol) i do know that the shelves and pans they come with are plastic. so you would want to either replace them with wood shelves and metal pans or cover any plastic with fleece.

there is a thread on here called 'the ferret nation club'. it will give you some great ideas for decorating!

This is the most popular comment about the cage...the plastic liners. If your chins don't chew plastic, they work just fine. I even have a plastic litter box in my FN.

Curious, what did you pay for the FN? I'm looking for a second one, but missed my opportunity when they were $156 on Amazon.

This is the most popular comment about the cage...the plastic liners. If your chins don't chew plastic, they work just fine. I even have a plastic litter box in my FN.

You have posted this in several areas and I have responded to every one. Just because your chins don't chew the plastic doesn't mean others won't. It is very rare that you get a chinchilla that will not chew plastic. I had one. Guess what? One night he decided to chew the plastic pan. He almost died from an impaction of a plastic piece in his intestines. I spent quite a bit at the vet to save him and thankfully he lived. It's better to be safe than sorry. Good for you that your chins don't chew....95% will chew. And all it takes is is a couple nibbles for them to ingest the plastic and get an impaction.

My advice is if you're going to use the plastic pans, use the pillow case type liners. That way they won't have access to the plastic. It doesn't do much for keeping the mess in, however. They are extremely shallow.

Back