I need urgent help

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Linganne

Really sorry to ask this as I am aware it's a Chin and hedgie forum. But does anyone here knows anything about hamsters as something is really happening to my hamsters. I have done research on the net but didn't manage to get much or accurate infor. Once again my aplogiies.

My hamster has a red tummy and like a little fur loss. Her temperament has changed and doesn't wanna get around others more. This is just a lil about what's going on.

sounds like maybe some type of skin infection? I wouldn't let your hammie get around the others until you can find out what is wrong with him, in case it is contagious. I would keep him separated until you can get him to a vet.

I had a hamster, a few years back, that had something like this, and it ended up being a bladder infection. Fortunately, I had a friend that lived next to me, that had antibiotics for her hamster that had the same thing, and we were able to get it well. But I would separate it from the rest of the colony, just in case and then call your exotics vet, if you have one and see what they say about it.

What kind of bedding are they on? Redness and hair loss can mean a number of things, and the first that comes to my mind is a bad reaction to cedar or improperly kilned pine bedding. They can also be vulnerable to skin fungus if there are consistently wet parts of the cage. Or, as Stephanie said, he's grooming the outside b/c something's wrong inside. For now I'd isolate with kitchen roll/dish towel bedding and monitor his food and water intake until you can call a vet.

My hamster has a red tummy and like a little fur loss. Her temperament has changed and doesn't wanna get around others more. This is just a lil about what's going on.

What species of hamster do you have? Is it a dwarf hamster? All of the dwarf hamster species have their scent glands on the belly. Is the redness in or around the scent gland? If not, what are you seeing? Is the skin dry or flaky? How big is the red area? Is it getting worse?

Is the fur loss where the skin is red? What does the skin near the fur loss look like?

It sounds like she is living with other hamsters. Have you seen any fighting? Are some of the cagemates male? How has her temperament changed?

How old is she?

Linda Price, President
California Hamster Association

Back