I might get 2 new chinchillas, still undecided

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MelLovesBella

There was a craiglist add for 2 5 year old standard female chinchillas, Chi and Kiwi. They come with a cage and extras. I called the phone number and spoke to the owners briefly. No history of disease or illness, the chins are friendly and have been bonded their whole lives. I get to meet them on Thursday to decide if I want to take them or not. I think it may be a good idea, because I feel really guilty that Bella has to be all alone while I am at work or school, so after the quarantine is over maybe they will get along. I also don't want somebody to end up with them that has no knowledge of chins at all.

Can anyone think of any questions I should be sure to ask on Thursday?

Go with your gut feeling when you meet the chins, but be aware that these two chins may not bond with Bella and you would have to have two separate cages to house them all. Maybe you could find out how this owner has cared for them. Have they eaten good food and hay and had chew sticks available? Have they been cared for correctly? As this can have some impact on their overall health. Good luck on Thursday!

You may also have to have 3 separate cages if you try and intro them to Bella. There have been times that the bonded pair end up fighting as well. It's just something to be aware of.

As far as them going to someone without experience - stuff happens. I'm sorry, but if every time you see a chin you have that mindset, then you are going to end up with 200 pet chins. The more you look on CL and other websites, the more you are going to find and the more you are going to want to save. What you need to think about is can you afford them? Can you afford their vet care? Are you going to have time to spend with them? What happens if YOUR life circumstances change and you can no longer afford them or be able to care for them? Where will they end up then? Before you want to "save" these guys, be real sure that you're in a position to truly help them and keep them in a forever home.

its pretty tough here. First, I definitely want to get general idea of everything I can find out. Also try to get an idea of why the owner is getting rid of them.

you said you had a chin. ALthough Ive had good success in putting my chins together, it took a lot of patience and time, considering there is always a possibility that they may bond as well. I can definitely see why you would wish to have another chin for yours now. Thats why I got Bam Bam so he can keep Tum Tum company =)

Given that fact your in school and so on, i agree with tunes to also get an idea of your own financial and availability picture. Vet care, food, time spent, and always the possibility they wont bond would equal more cages and additional expenses. I mean you have to prepare for like the worse case scenario.

Good luck Thursday! when you see them, you need to think it both ways, whats best for the chins and what would happen as changes occur in your life? school? move? working? and so forth. So far, I ended up waiting to get a chin until after I gotta outta college, but I believe still I will keep them in a forever home =D

keep us posted! xD

I agree completely with Tunes. It hurts to see chins on Craigslist and knowing they have and will probably end up in a household with irresponsible owners. You can't save everybody.

I know this might sound stupid, but I have always worried about getting two chins and putting them with one. Could they possibly gang up on the other one? I'm always thinking the two new chins will try to dominate the original chin. I guess you have to watch them carefully..

Three is gonna be harder to manage than one. If by chance they don't get along, you will need three cages and three playtimes. Three times more money. I don't see the appeal really. I have three chinchillas only because Chichi (my original) came to us pregnant and I didn't have the heart to get rid of the babies- turns out Tribble (the male) is the most friendly of my three!!!

Good luck to you with whatever option you choose :) I know you will make the right decision for yourself and those chins!

Latest posts

Back