I might be getting a second chin! :)

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beemarie

So after talking and debating with my boyfriend to get a second chin. I knew after a week with benny, I would want another chin Since i absolutely fell in love with my Benny. For the past month we have been debating on if we can handle another responsibility and life long commitment. With my boyfriend's new job, we decided we are ready to adopted another chin. :))

I'm sooo excited! I am hoping for benny to have a friend but i dont know how it will work out. when i got him i was told he doesnt get along with other males. soo I might try it out just to see after a month of quarantine and a lot of step taking. but I'm still debating if i want to put that much stress on benny or the new chin. I am fine with two cages.

I found a lady who runs pretty much a petting zoo with rescued animals and someone gave her a chin and she's looking to rehome. I am still talking to her to see if she thinks i'm the right fit for her chin. HOPEFULLY! I will get my answer if I can adopt her chin.

I am praying that the second chin will like my boyfriend. :hilarious: I dont know what i am going to do if he doesnt like him either. i just dont want hear about how benny or the new chin doesnt like him.

Make sure your boyfriend is the one to handle the new chin most of the time - let him feed the new chin. Make sure the bf talks to the new chin and gets him acclimated to his new home. As for Benny he a pretty dominate chin so chances are he won't get along. However you could try putting the cages next to each other. Even if they don't get along, often even dominate chins who don't want to share their cage get used to the idea of having a chin next to them in another cage and then actually like it . That way they don't have to share their cage but have a friend.

[/QUOTE]However you could try putting the cages next to each other. Even if they don't get along, often even dominate chins who don't want to share their cage get used to the idea of having a chin next to them in another cage and then actually like it . That way they don't have to share their cage but have a friend.[/QUOTE]

That is exactly what we did! Gizmo is alpha and did not want to share her cage. I thought it was important for her to have a friend so I asked whether it would benefit her to at least have other chin friends in the room and was told it would. Their cages are right next to each other and they are happy. They watch each other and bump noses through the cage. Just like human families, you can love someone, but NOT be able to live with them!

Do you think after time of being next to each other and not sharing the same cage they could be friends enough to have play time together?

The lady emailed me this morning and asked when i could come over and meet the little guy! :)

Do you think after time of being next to each other and not sharing the same cage they could be friends enough to have play time together?

No one can tell you for sure. This is something that depends on an individual basis. I have one chin that hates anything else the resembles a chin, some of my chins get along with certain chins but not with others. Lots of time and patience will have to be put into them getting along, and even then sometimes all the time and working with them in the world won't work.

I second Stackie. I did what you're about to do. Mt. Zion Chins told me Miesha doesn't share and he sure doesn't. Sonic didn't appreciate Miesha's "welcoming" and showed he wanted to kick some serious butt. This was from separate carriers. And every time they come face to face through bars they start the same routine of growls, kaks and scratching. It's gotten down to just serious sniffing and fleece digging, but I have no delusions that they'd fight if there were no barriers. I can't speak for your chins but you need to expect that they may never be able to even play together no matter how clearly you can picture them doing so.

Still, separate cages and separate play times has its advantages. Each chin gets special attention and shares all of its love with you. Follow Mt. Zion's instructions for getting the new chin to bond to your BF. The only way for it to like him is to know him and know what he will do when he's near. I have to remind my husband of that all the time. He acts like I'm torturing him, but I make him join us for playtime for each chin a couple times a month.

I have to remind my husband of that all the time. He acts like I'm torturing him, but I make him join us for playtime for each chin a couple times a month.

My boyfriend wants to bond with Benny but Benny just doesnt like him and only him. we dont know why. When we first got him he didnt mind him but after a week he just didnt like him anymore. When he tries giving him treats but benny will just bite him and not touch the treat and benny is always up for a good treat. Only during playtime is the only time benny doesnt bite my boyfriend. He wont go near him but it's a step from him biting him. Now i dont have to box in my boyfriend in the corner anymore.

so hopefully if i follow Barbs advice this chin will bond with him.

I'm soo excited to find out when i will be able to take my new baby home :D

I love the boxing in your boyfriend comment...lol My Yazy hates all the guys in my house (my husband and my 2 teen boys)....lol Good luck on your new baby and congratz!

lol yeah play time is in the room so benny can watch tv. and my boyfriend likes to play xbox when he is home. so we use to laugh saying that we have to cage my boyfriend in the corner because it's benny's turn to be out of the cage.

Thanks. I'm excited! I get to bring him home tomorrow night if everything works out. :D

Latest posts

Back