I just...

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mommyslittlechins2010

I just found my chinchilla dead this morning! she has two ohter cage mates and their fine. i fed then and gave them water yesterday.. she was up moving around the cage and everything yesterday.... But a weeka ago ther was jsut something offf with her that i didn't notice... feel like a horrible chin parent. have her for almost a yr. and she dies. when i picked her up two days ago she was lighter than the other two. so i figured she wasnt eating so i gave her her own dish and food.. is ther something atht i didn't see that was there? snd i over looked it ? plz help I feel like i let my chin down

A necropsy is the animal form of an autopsy, yes. You would need to get her to a vet within 24hrs of finding her body so they could perform the necropsy. If she is in the freezer, move her to the fridge until you can get her to a vet. Without a necropsy, you will not know what happened to her. We weren't there for the past year of your chinchilla's life so we can't tell you what did or did not happen to her.

I'm sorry for your loss. I went through the same thing not too long ago. I recommend getting a necropsy done if you saved her body.

A necropsy is the animal form of an autopsy, yes. You would need to get her to a vet within 24hrs of finding her body so they could perform the necropsy. If she is in the freezer, move her to the fridge until you can get her to a vet. Without a necropsy, you will not know what happened to her. We weren't there for the past year of your chinchilla's life so we can't tell you what did or did not happen to her.

thanks.... for the info.. but i think i'm going bury her and put a marker there so i know where she is and that i can go visit her... I love my pets and take good care of them but i guess it's part of life ...

I am sorry to hear about your loss. the only way you can really know what happened is if you have a necrospy.

tmy bf is going to take her and bury her .. he's going to put a marker there so i can dirve out to see her when i want .... I'm so sad. but she's in a better place. i think she wasn't eating enough cause ther are two others in the cage or getting to drink enough either... gong to miss my chin ...

RIP Buttons

yes what Tab said. also because you have 2 other chins it is important to find out if she died from anything than can be passed to your other chins.

i personally would get the necropsy done, so that way you know if her death was due to something that could affect your other chins, especially since they were living in the same cage. better to be safe than sorry! and you should be able to get her back after the necropsy, for burial, although you probably won't want to open the box at all.

I'm so sorry for your loss. I would keep a close eye on your other chins to make sure their weights remain steady, and that they are behaving normally. A digital scale will help you keep track of their weights. A decline in weight is a good marker that something is wrong, since chins hide their illnesses so well.

If you can't get the necropsy done, I agree with Jenn.

Also, I am sorry for your loss.

Even the best mom's can't prevent everything, we just do the best we can and learn from any mistakes. Im sorry this happened, god bless!

Back